Harry P. Leu Gardens, Orlando, FL  » Travel  »
1920 N. Forest Ave. Orlando, FL
  • The Gardens are divided into many different sections and although I enjoyed walking through them the many times my daughter and I went there before her wedding day, we often found ourselves lost and unable to find the way back to the entrance
  • This was really convenient because it would've been a long walk from the parking lot to the Rose Garden where the ceremony was held

• by Why Georgia

Leu Gardens, is in Orlando, FL. It’s not only a beautiful place to simply spend an afternoon strolling the beautiful gardens, but it is also a wonderful place to hold a wedding or other special event. It’s 50 acres in total and they have created walkways that weave in and around the property.

My daughter got married there a little over a year ago. We had to rent the facility a year in advance because it’s very popular and books up fast. There are several rooms they have for rent that you can use inside the Leu house building for receptions. We opted to use the largest, the Camilla room which opened to the huge Veranda overlooking the lake.

For people who are just visiting the gardens, you pay $7 to get in unless you’re a student in kindergarten through 12 who only pay $2. They let people come in until

4 PM each day. Many people that visit there come for the peace and quiet. Others seem to be either professional or amateur photographers trying to get that perfect Rose up close or one of the many butterflies in Leu Garden’s Butterfly Garden. And others still just take in the horticulture in all it’s various forms in this beautiful setting.

The Gardens are divided into many different sections and although I enjoyed walking through them the many times my daughter and I went there before her wedding day, we often found ourselves lost and unable to find the way back to the entrance! It happened on the day of her wedding too! After the ceremony, there were to be pictures taken by the photographer at various areas of the grounds. We were told that my daughter was looking for her Dad and I for pictures and we spent an hour ...

• walking around in 95 degree heat looking for them and the photographer! They don’t have enough signs clearly marking the way out often enough throughout the grounds.

There is a Bamboo Garden, a Cycad Garden, a Palm Garden, a Tropical Steam Garden, a Vegetable Garden, a huge Rose Garden and one of the most beautiful Camellia Gardens I have ever seen!

She opted to hold her ceremony in the Rose Garden, but you can choose from there or a few other places in the gardens where weddings are commonly held. There are fountains in the area where they set up the chairs and you can choose to have them shut the fountains off if you’re concerned about not being able to hear your wedding music or ceremony. My daughter had a harpist play her wedding music and as I mentioned before, it was in the mid 90’s and

the ceremony was out in bright sunshine. It sure was beautiful, but it sure was hot!

They have Bride’s and Groom’s rooms on the grounds as well, where the wedding party can get dressed before the ceremony. This was really convenient because it would’ve been a long walk from the parking lot to the Rose Garden where the ceremony was held!

The Leu house is an authentic old Southern mansion that is two stories high and it sits on a beautiful lawn overlooking the water. It was the former home of Harry P. Leu, a man who did a lot to help the people and city of Orlando in his time and ultimately deeded over his beautiful house and gardens to the city with the condition that they never be sold or used for any other purpose than people’s enjoyment. And they are just that, beautiful and enjoyed by so many people.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475361230/k2311a0918/9.18.08