Niagara Falls Ontario Canada  » Travel  »
  • I seriously didn't expect to be so moved by them, but I found tears streaming down my cheeks as I watched them silently
  • Another fun way to experience the falls that I did was to take the Behind the Falls tour that takes you down through these tunnels that end up coming out to this observation area
  • I did check out Mama Mia's Restaurant and got some delicious Italian fare at reasonable prices
  • They have inexpensive motels that seem mostly geared to families to the best of the best

• by Why Georgia

Niagara Falls is one of the most beautiful natural wonders I’ve ever seen! When I walked down in front of them for the first time, the sheer majesty of them, the thunderous sound of the water cascading down, absolutely took my breath away! I seriously didn’t expect to be so moved by them, but I found tears streaming down my cheeks as I watched them silently. There is a certain reverence about them that is hard to put into words.

Many people, unaware of all there is to see and do in and around the falls, asked me why I would spend an entire week going to see some waterfalls. There is so much more to do than simply see the falls. To start with, seeing the falls during the day isn’t even the whole deal! You are treated every evening from dusk til midnight to an illumination of every

color of the rainbow on these beautiful falls! On weekends, they do a fireworks display over the falls as well. It’s a very romantic thing to walk along the falls at night with the one you care about.

I must add here that you can see Niagara Falls from either the NY side or the Canadian side. I’ve never gone to the US side of the falls because I’ve always been told that it’s best seen from the Canadian side and there is more to see and do there as well. So this review comes to you from the Canadian side of the falls!

Nearby the falls, there are two casinos and twenty-five wineries that are all within a short drive of the falls, just minutes away. You can also take in other less obvious views of the falls, such as taking the maid of the mist boat tour which I took that takes you right up to the base of the falls and believe me you get soaked but it’s worth every minute for that up close view of this natural phenomenon. Boats not your thing? Tour the falls area overhead by taking a helicopter ride for a bird’s eye view of the falls. I, myself prefer keeping my feet firmly planted on the ground so I didn’t do the helicopter tour, but it’s a popular favorite for many.

Another fun way to experience the falls that I did was to take the “Behind the Falls” tour that takes you down through these tunnels that end up coming out to this observation area. I never did it in winter, but I’ve been told that it’s cool to see the falls this way in winter, because some of the water freezes into ice and hangs there in these weird shapes.

Other neighboring attractions are the Skylon ...

• Niagara Falls Ontario Canada
      Tower, which is an attraction all in itself. There are two dining rooms at the top both overlooking the falls, several little shops on the main floor and an amusement park, yes, an amusement park at the base. You get to the top of the Skylon in one of the trademark “Yellow Bug” elevators where you have a perfect vantage point of the falls from over 700′ high in the air!

There are many great restaurants in the area with a wide range of price and cuisine. Everything from fine dining to family style to pub food and fast food. I ate at mostly well known chains, TGI Fridays, Tony Roma’s and places like that. I did check out Mama Mia’s Restaurant and got some delicious Italian fare at reasonable prices.

There is plenty of shopping around to suit all tastes. Antiques, souvenirs, and outlet shopping as well. Everything is in a

reasonable distance. You can walk to many things and even if you opt to drive, nothing is more than 10 minutes or so away.

Lodging is about as varied as the choice of restaurants. They have inexpensive motels that seem mostly geared to families to the best of the best. Many of the accommodations have several rooms focused on honeymoon suites since Niagara Falls is such a popular Honeymoon destination.

I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting the falls in the winter, but that’s my next game plan! In the winter, they have a festival of lights with 3 million Christmas lights and lighted holiday displays featuring some Disney themes. They have various events at that time too, such as the Tree lighting and the Christmas parade.

All in all, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada is a beautiful and entertaining way to spend a week of your life no matter who you are or what you enjoy!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475351230/k2311a0918/9.18.08