Gillete Castle State Park  » Travel  »
67 River Road, East Haddam, CT
  • In East Haddam, Connecticut, is a really interesting place that I've visited several times over the years both as a child with my family and since then as an adult with my children
  • You can tour the castle which you will find amazing in and of itself with many hand carved wooden features all made of white oak
  • Last I knew it was $5 for anyone over like 13 and $2 for ages 5-12, I think and under 5 is free

• by Why Georgia

In East Haddam, Connecticut, is a really interesting place that I’ve visited several times over the years both as a child with my family and since then as an adult with my children. It is a medieval looking castle that was built in the early 1900’s by Roger Gillette, the late actor, playwright and director. He was most well known for his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes. The 24 room castle sits on a hill overlooking the 184 acre estate. I remember pulling up to the castle for the

first time with my kids in the middle of summer having driven from RI and when we finally could see the castle in the distance, my kids were all yelling “Awwww cooooool! Awesome!!!!” so excited like they didn’t realize it was really seriously a real castle.

You can tour the castle which you will find amazing in and of itself with many hand carved wooden features all made of white oak. The doors to every room as I recall are unique, no two alike and I remember being amazed at ...

• how many hand crafted built in things he had made inside his castle like couches and tables and such.

Besides the castle, you can tour the grounds and there are lots of trails good for walking with picnic grounds as well. They partially follow over trestles and go through tunnels that Gillette used to run his single gauge railroad.

We often make a day of it and after touring the castle, have a picnic lunch on the park grounds and then spend some time hiking around the trails catching some beautiful views

of the river. Bring your camera!

They’ve put a visitor’s center there now and a gift shop. People often choose to get married out on the terrace of the castle overlooking the Connecticut River Valley below. You can also camp at the campsite down by the Connecticut River in Gillette State Park.

Touring the grounds is free. Touring the castle is cheap! Last I knew it was $5 for anyone over like 13 and $2 for ages 5-12, I think and under 5 is free. A great deal for a family outing!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475301230/k2311a0918/9.18.08