Waterfires, Providence, RI  » Travel  »
Downtown Providence, RI
  • It does not cost to go see it, although there is limited free parking in that area
  • I thought it sounded boring to be honest, but since it was my brother inviting us, I figured I'd go since I usually have fun with him

• by Why Georgia

In Providence, RI, there is a work of art, and a popular public event along the rivers in Providence that runs usually from the the end of May until mid-October on certain Saturday nights. It was created as a work of art by a sculptor named Barnaby Evans.

It started with one fire that the artist created to commemorate the tenth Providence First Night celebration. It was so popular that it soon had a bunch of people that started a non

profit group to help fund Waterfires throughout Providence along the rivers. The Waterfires now have 100 braziers that are lit for each event. It is run by volunteers and depends heavily on donations. It does not cost to go see it, although there is limited free parking in that area. They do have people collecting donations to help support the Waterfire events all along the Riverfront Park.

My brother first invited my husband and I to go see the Waterfires. I thought ...

• it sounded boring to be honest, but since it was my brother inviting us, I figured I’d go since I usually have fun with him. I was pleasantly surprised when we got there. Although parking was a bear and we ended up having to walk quite a distance, it was absolutely mesmerizing. You could smell wood burning in the crisp air and the most enchanting, yet haunting music fills the air. Gondolas glide through the water alongside the fires and
        you can ride on these gondolas as well. The reflections of flickering flames along the arched bridges as fire tenders ride along the river throwing logs on the fires keeping them burning for all to see is a sight to behold.

People come from all over to walk along the river, ride in the Gondolas, sometimes sit on the wall and simply hear, feel and see all that is Waterfire, Providence. If you get a chance to go see it, you should.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475291230/k2311a0918/9.18.08