Roger Williams Park Zoo, Providence,RI  » Travel  »
1000 Elmwood Avenue, Providence, RI
  • Rogers Williams Park Zoo is without a doubt the best zoo I've seen to date and that means something because I travel a lot and have seen zoos all along the Eastern corridor and Texas
  • Now as an adult, I've found that this zoo that I once loved as it was, has become this amazing experience
  • I highly recommend you visit it if nearby

• by Why Georgia

Having grown up in Rhode Island, I have to do a review on one of our biggest little state in the union’s greatest treasures: Roger Williams Park Zoo.

I can remember going here for field trips all through elementary school as a child and we looked forward to it all year long. The anticipation was amazing. I would start earning money by washing my Dad’s car and shining his shoes at 25 cents each to earn money to spend in the gift shop at the Roger Williams Park Zoo during my class trip.

I went to Rogers Williams Park Zoo about a year ago when home for a visit. It absolutely blew me and family away and also cemented my roots as to why I am a proud

Rhode Islander. Rogers Williams Park Zoo is without a doubt the best zoo I’ve seen to date and that means something because I travel a lot and have seen zoos all along the Eastern corridor and Texas.

Roger Williams Park Zoo has more than the average share of animals…way more than they have at our local zoo and believe me, I like our local zoo. Actually, when I spoke with someone that has worked at the zoo for many years, he informed me that Roger Williams Park Zoo has transformed itself from a less than spectacular zoo to one of the top ranked zoos in our country! I totally agree.

When I went as a child, it was wonderful, simply because I was a child and this was ...

• a coveted and special place that was for field trips and special times when school would bring us there. Now as an adult, I’ve found that this zoo that I once loved as it was, has become this amazing experience! They now have animals from every possible continent!

Our little zoo that was merely more than an elephant and a couple of monkeys has not become home to the likes of Polar Bears, Zebras, Lemurs, Kangaroos, Kookaburras, Wallabies, Gibbons, Emus, Wildebeest, Elephants, Giraffes, Leopards, Camels and Bears!

Like most zoos, it’s broken into sections based on where the species is from. The majority of the zoo is outdoors, however, there are a few indoor exhibits. The areas that they divide the animals into by their roots are: Africa, Australasia,

Madagascar, Marco Polo Trail, North America (yes there IS an exhibit for the American Eagle!) and Tropical America.

They have a boardwalk that winds around the trails that take you through the park’s sections. There are places to get a bite to eat and vendors throughout the zoo for drinks and ice cream.And of course, like any zoo, there is a wonderful gift shop where you can go mementos of your visit.

Roger Williams Park Zoo is special to me and it brings me great joy to see it flourish and have even more plans for the future. It is a Rhode Island landmark and a place I am very proud of. I highly recommend you visit it if nearby. Make a day of it and visit the surrounding park as well!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475141230/k2311a0918/9.18.08