Wickford Village, Wickford, RI
  • After tying up at the dock in Wickford, we spent the best afternoon, walking along the streets browsing in all the little shops and businesses in this little historic New England town
  • I've lived in Rhode Island the majority of my life and have often driven through Wickford or even run to their Seafood Market, but this was honestly the very first time that I ever did the entire Wickford Experience and walked the streets and checked out each nook and cranny that this little harbor village has to offer
  • There are so many unique and interesting shops in Wickford village that I never even realized were there

• by Why Georgia

This past summer when I was home visiting family in Rhode Island, I had the pleasure of spending the day out on a family member’s boat in Narragansett Bay. After a morning of fishing, boating and sunbathing, we headed into Wickford Harbor. After tying up at the dock in Wickford, we spent the best afternoon, walking along the streets browsing in all the little shops and businesses in this little historic New England town.

I’ve lived in Rhode Island the majority of my life and have often driven through Wickford or even run to their Seafood Market, but this was honestly the very first time that I ever did the entire Wickford Experience and walked the streets and checked out each nook and cranny that this little harbor village has to offer. It was a blast!

There are so many unique and interesting shops in Wickford village that I never even realized were there! American Bay Outfitters was a place that had all sorts of neat RI and

local merchandise. Great shop to find some unique birthday or Christmas gifts! And yes, my family and I were actually Christmas shopping in July!

Nautical Impressions for the Nautical nut shopper like me! A book Store, jewelry shops, Shartner’s Farm store which features fresh veggies and produce, several clothing stores, antique dealers, toy shops, a local grocer and the Shaggy Chic Pet Boutique is perfect for a gift for your special 4-legged friends or for anyone who is nuts about their particular breed. This was a fun shop and I spent quite a bit of time here browsing for my dogs who could not come on this particular adventure.

Speaking of dogs, Wickford now caters to our little four legged loved ones! Many shops now offer bowls of cold water outside their shops in case you happen to be walking town with your fur kids!

There is also a parklike setting with the updike monument that is a great place to stop and rest while you’re ...

• out browsing the shops. There is a pretty grassy area and park benches to take a load off and regain your strength!

After we walked the village and did our shop-a-thon, we were hungry! We decided to check out the “Tavern by the Sea” restaurant. We asked to be seated out on the outside patio overlooking the marina. It was a beautiful sunny day and it wasn’t overly hot but just nice, warm. We were pleasantly surprised. Wickford can be a little pricey especially the shops along there so we really expected some big prices on the menu. It is not as cheap as say an Applebees, but the prices are not that bad at all! Lunch was very affordable and some of us got sandwiches or burgers while others got several things to share like Chowder, or “Chowda” as we say in RI and Clam Cakes, Stuffed Quahogs and Chicken Tenders. The average price on lunch was $8.00. We looked at their menu for dinner

and even that was not as bad as it could’ve been! Most dinner entrees were around $18.00-$19.00.

Part of the Wickford Village experience is just meandering through all the streets in town looking at all the old historical homes and there are many! The beautiful old church in town is St. Paul’s. Wickford is also home to the old Narragansett Church which is the oldest building in town. It’s also fun to walk down to the docks and watch people fishing. Some of the best available seafood in RI to purchase is at Gardner’s Wharf in Wickford.

It’s a wonderful way to spend a day or even a weekend and if you come to the area for longer, there are several historical attractions nearby and lots of major shopping in neighboring towns and cities. After all, this is Rhode Island and you could miss most of it if you blink! The biggest little state in the Union, my home state! Visit Scenic Wickford Village. You won’t be sorry!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475101230/k2311a0918/9.18.08