Caladesi Island State Park, FL
  • I think much of the reason that it is so special is because it hasn't been ruined like so many public beaches have
  • When I last went, it was only $7, but I would imagine they've increased their cost due to rising fuel costs

• by Why Georgia

On the West Coast of Florida, North of Clearwater is a state park on one of the barrier islands called Caladesi State Park. There have been many words used to describe this beautiful place but when I’ve gone there, only one word comes to mind repeatedly, serenity.

It’s been called the most beautiful beach in the world and I can sure understand why. I think much of the reason that it is so special is because it hasn’t been ruined like so many public beaches have. It is pretty much completely natural. It has pure white sand and lots of shells, some very unique ones if you’re lucky! I had the good fortune to come back from my last visit with not one, but two perfect sand dollars!

What strikes me about the beach is how clean it is! So many state beaches have been trashed by people. I almost think people that go to Caladesi have an instinctive respect for the place that makes them more keenly aware of picking up after themselves

and not acting like well, humans! Other than some occasional piles of washed up seaweed or other natural ocean debris, you really don’t see much in the way of human droppings so to speak!

The State park system really hasn’t tampered with this little natural beauty as of yet and I hope they don’t. They’ve put in a snack bar, a gift shop, restrooms and an area with shaded picnic tables, but pretty much, that is it. The island is what it is.

There is a nature trail you can hike that is 3 miles long. I, personally, have yet to do that hike, but I have talked with relatives that have and they loved it. My daughter is an amateur photographer and she got lots of good photo opportunities along the trail.

Even though I haven’t done the nature trail hike, I saw Osprey, turtles and an armadillo just walking from the boat to the beach area! I didn’t see any thankfully, but have been told that there are diamondback rattlers on the ...

• island. Maybe I won’t be doing that nature trail!

People go fishing there, kayaking, boating and swimming. Mostly, people go there to enjoy the peace, quiet and natural beauty of the island.

Caladesi island is only reachable by ferry boat. You have to take the Dunedin Causeway over to Honeymoon Island State Park (which costs $5 per car to get in) and then take the ferry ride which costs $10 to go over to Caladesi. When I last went, it was only $7, but I would imagine they’ve increased their cost due to rising fuel costs. You have to make sure to be aware of the time you spend on the island because you don’t want to miss the last boat back or you could find yourself an overnight guest with no lodging! They give you an assigned return time when you go over of 4 hours, but you can take a different ferry earlier as long as they have room.

The little store has all the usual souvenirs, t-shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, postcards, etc.,

as well as some supplies that come in handy if you didn’t bring them from home like suntan lotion, bug spray, drinks and the like. They also have a snack bar here with things like burgers, hotdogs and fries. We did buy burgers and fries here the first time we went and it was decent, not bad at all. Since then though, we bring a picnic lunch when we go. We either eat out on the beach or we eat at the provided picnic tables.

It’s a beautiful way to spend a day and take some downtime from your busy life. I wish it wasn’t so difficult to get to or expensive, but by the same token if it were easier to access, more people would go there and it would eventually become just like all the other State beaches that have been spoiled and overcrowded. Even if it costs a little more and takes a little more to get there, Caladesi is worth the trouble.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475081230/k2311a0918/9.18.08