Honeymoon Island State Park, Dunedin, FL  » Travel  »
1 Causeway Blvd, Dunedin, FL
  • You can rent chairs there though I think, but we had ours in our trunk so we just used them
  • I like finding places like this that have the kind of things that I am interested in and especially those that allow my four-legged family members too

• by Why Georgia

On the West Coast of Florida, just North of Clearwater, is a Beach and State Park that I stumbled onto quite by accident when I was house hunting over there before we decided to settle on the East Coast of FL instead.

We have dogs. We were looking simply for a place along the water where we could take our Deli Sandwiches we had just bought and sit by the water, where it was okay to have our dogs with us. We drove North from Clearwater after not finding anything there suitable. Then we stopped at a convenience store for chips and my husband decided to ask the clerk if he knew of a good place nearby that we could have our lunch near the water and be able to take our dogs out with us.

He suggested Honeymoon Island State Park, which as it turned out was only 5 miles ahead of where we were! We followed his directions and found the sign for it and turned onto the Dunedin Causeway which takes you to the Park entrance. It costs $5.00 per

carload and it was well worth the money spent. What a beautiful island and park! I could’ve easily spent the whole day here.

The beach sand is that powdery white that you don’t see on EVERY beach in FL. The Gulf coast does seem to have more of it than the East Coast does with the exception of down toward Miami and the Keys of course.

They have full facilities there for changing and restrooms. I used the restrooms twice while we were there and it was clean and decent.

The dogs were so excited and happy to be able to be out with us at the water. They have designated areas for dogs and you merely need to keep them on a 6ft. leash. We have Black labs and Chihuahuas and the labs romped in the water and tossed a stick up in the air now and then and just in general had a good old time in the water and sand. The Chihuahuas were simply glad to be going wherever we were like Chihuahuas tend to do!

We ended up sitting on chairs ...

• we had brought with us to have our lunch. You can rent chairs there though I think, but we had ours in our trunk so we just used them.

There is a hiking trail too and that was really cool. It’s a good size path in the woods and there’s all sorts of wildlife along the way. We saw some turtles, some Osprey and several other birds that I hadn’t seen before. I was very thankful we didn’t run into any snakes along the way! Again, the dogs had a blast! The nature walk is in the midst of a pine forest and that made it fairly comfortable even though it was a hot day in June.

The beach is a good place to go shelling here. I didn’t get to do too much shelling with the dogs with us, but I saw lots of them. We’ve already decided that we need to make a trip over to the West Coast again and get my son to watch our dogs for us when we do so we can do some of the things

that we can’t do when they come along. We’d like to try fishing there too. We talked to the person at the entrance shack and he said people do catch Flounder (our favorite fish!) there at certain times of the year.

Even the causeway on the way over to the park is a nice place to pull off and get some sun or read a book, or have lunch. The causeway parking is free if you didn’t want to actually come into Honeymoon Island State Park.

I like finding places like this that have the kind of things that I am interested in and especially those that allow my four-legged family members too! Honeymoon Island State Park is a great place to spend a day and it’s relatively inexpensive and a good value for the money. You can also get a ferry while there to go see the popular Caladesi Island. The Ferry is $7 per person. I was very pleased with spending the afternoon here this day and we will go back again the next time we get over to the West Coast.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809475041230/k2311a0918/9.18.08