The Flume Gorge, Franconia Notch, NH  » Travel  »
Rt 3, Franconia Notch, NH
  • Kids seem to handle it fine with no problem at all
  • Most of the time you can easily find a parking place, however I know that hikers and other visitors to the Franconia Notch area often use this parking lot too so there are times that even with the lot being as big as it is, it is just about full
  • I think it's an attraction that is well worth the money
  • It's simply amazing that this was all formed by nature

• by Why Georgia

In Franconia Notch, New Hampshire, we always make a point to stop at the Flume Gorge on Highway 3. I wish I had the articulation skills to express how truly beautiful this place really is. Get your hiking shoes on, grab your camera because you have a special treat in store for you.

The Flume is a natural chasm in the midst of the White Mountains of New Hampshire at the base of Mt. Liberty. You park at the visitor’s center and then begin your 2 mile walk along the path which is a fairly good walk, some of it boardwalk, some of it dirt, some of it wooden stairs and much of it uphill. You are walking along looking up at these huge granite walls some 90 feet up and you pass through areas that have the most beautiful cascading natural waterfalls and walk along boardwalk that runs next to and over the river below.

There are so many beautiful views and photo opportunities to take these magnificent shots of rushing rapids in the water below, a covered bridge, several waterfalls as well as the granite walls of

the gorge where the river has carved it’s path over time. The gorge is a whopping 800 feet deep.

For those that find the walk to be too much, they do have a little bus that you can take to bypass the majority of the walk. I’ve always been able to do the walk though and I’m not in great shape either. If I get tired or out of breath, I just stop for a bit and then go on. Kids seem to handle it fine with no problem at all. Even on hot days in the mountains, walking the path and boardwalk along the flume is usually very cool and comfortable because of the shade and the cold rushing waters that almost act as a natural air conditioner!

One of the nicest things about visiting the flume is that you are not a time limit. You don’t have a person as a guide taking you through on a guided tour. You are given a little informational guide pamphlet to help explain what you’re looking at and what to look for, but you are free to roam as slow ...

• or fast as you’d like. Being an avid photographer, I appreciate being able to slow down and let others go by so that I can get that perfect shot of the rapids or find a lone squirrel running along the boardwalk to photograph. I tend to like taking my time in areas like this anyway as the natural attractions mean so much more to me than the manmade attractions.

The visitor centers have lots of information about the flume and it’s origins. They also have souvenirs for sale, as well as NH made products like Maple Syrup and Maple Candy and they have a little snack bar area where you can get something to eat and something to drink. I’ve never bought food here though. I usually bring a water bottle with me.

The Flume is actually one of the very first attractions at the base of Franconia Notch. Parking for the Flume is free and there is a pretty big lot. Most of the time you can easily find a parking place, however I know that hikers and other visitors to the Franconia Notch area often

use this parking lot too so there are times that even with the lot being as big as it is, it is just about full. In fact, if I didn’t know people other than Flume visitors also use this park, I might think the attraction was packed with visitors. Not so! Even when there are a good amount of visitors to the Flume Gorge itself, it still doesn’t feel crowded and you are never rushed on your visit which is as I said the beauty of a self-guided tour.

They do charge admission to tour The Flume itself costs $12 if you’re 13 or older. Kids that are 6-12 get in for $8 and under 6 are free. I think it’s an attraction that is well worth the money. I wish it were free since it’s a product of nature, however I realize they have to charge money to upkeep the boardwalk, the parking lot, and the visitor’s center. If you don’t do anything else in the White Mountains, I do think this is the one to see. It’s simply amazing that this was all formed by nature.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474851230/k2311a0918/9.18.08