Fort De Soto State Park, Pinellas County, FL  » Travel  »
  • I'm not that much of a history buff though, so I am more impressed with the natural surroundings of the park and the beach
  • I've been on both types and enjoyed them both
  • The natural trail, which was called Arrowhead, I believe was a great place to take your camera to catch some occasional wildlife shots
  • It's just about as close to the best all purpose park that there is in the State of Florida
  • I think you should go the next time you find yourself looking for something to do in the state of Florida

• by Why Georgia

In Pinellas County, FL is a beautiful State Park called Fort De Soto State Park. Now besides the Fort where they actually have a 12″ Mortar Battery and rapid fire rifle guns. My husband and son always love visiting the Fort. I’m not that much of a history buff though, so I am more impressed with the natural surroundings of the park and the beach.

The beach is typical of the beaches on the West Coast. It’s got that beautiful pure white soft sand and the waters of the gulf are so clear and blue. It’s a great beach to go for a walk, go shelling, build a sand castle, go for a swim, or have a beach picnic.

Fort De Soto Park is a little over 1100 acres and offers some of the nicest hiking and nature trails in all of Florida. There are a few depending on what type of hike you’re looking to do. Some

are natural trails and then they also have a paved one. I’ve been on both types and enjoyed them both. The natural trail, which was called Arrowhead, I believe was a great place to take your camera to catch some occasional wildlife shots. The paved trail worked out well when we had my Granddaughter in a stroller. She enjoyed the scenery and the ride and I got a workout while she giggled and pointed at everything and everyone along our path!

Swimming at Fort De Soto is wonderful. You do have to be careful where you swim though as they don’t advise it at all areas. Some areas are known to have strong currents that aren’t conducive to swimming. We always went to North Beach which is more or less a cove and never has rough waters or undercurrents. We also liked walking the beach looking for shells and shark’s teeth. I have found several ...

• Shark’s teeth there and I even found a sand dollar once. I have quite a collection of beach finds from all my travels!

Fort De Soto also has a campgrounds, but I, personally have never camped there. I do know they have picnic tables, water and electricity hookups and there is a laundry facility at the campgrounds too. I always thought it would be fun to camp there because there are so many sites right on the water.

There is a boat launch ramp at the Park too. My Brother in Law has often launched his boat here and gone South to Sanibel and Captiva Islands off of Fort Myers.

Almost forgot to mention, they have a dog beach here. I really appreciate it when places like this designate an area where you can take your pets.

If fishing is your thing like it is my husband’s and son’s, (well, sometimes mine too!) Fort De Soto is

your place to go. They have two really long fishing piers that are absolutely 100% free to use.

People come to this park for many reasons beyond what I’ve mentioned here. They ride bikes, fly kites, use the picnic facilities, go fishing, swimming, boating, camping, hiking, bird watching and on and on. It’s a popular place for couples, families and sportsmen alike.

I can’t really put into words what makes this park so very special. I never get tired of it. There are so many areas to explore, trails to be conquered, fish to be caught (as my husband would say!). It’s just about as close to the best all purpose park that there is in the State of Florida. It’s fun, it’s picture perfect and there is something of interest there for everyone in your family. I think you should go the next time you find yourself looking for something to do in the state of Florida.

Patricia says :

Hello, I came across your review while seeking a place in Florida to take my family. Do you recommend any lodging, cabins, hotels?? I have a 16 month old and want to make sure I find a good place. Thanks Patricia

Peg says :

Do the camp sites have availability to hook up to cable TV? Thanks

Jules Li says :

Peg, cable TV is available in the area because some log cabins have it. However, some sites don’t have it, so this will depend on whether or not your site has the connections for cable TV.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474781130/k2311a0918/9.18.08