Indian Rocks Beach, FL  » Travel  »
  • When I first moved to Florida, we were trying to experience different areas before deciding where to settle
  • I think the Nature Preserve is probably my favorite nature trail in all of Florida
  • Great place to just take a hike, admire the wildlife, bring your camera for some unique and interesting photo opportunities, and just take in the peace and quiet of a beautiful and serene park that is nature at it's finest

• by Why Georgia

When I first moved to Florida, we were trying to experience different areas before deciding where to settle. While we were on the West Coast checking out Clearwater and Tampa, we had the occasion to spend two months in a cottage right on Indian Rocks Beach. It was one of the most memorable times of our lives. I often think about going back there.

We stayed at a place called, “The Sea Star Motel and Cottages”. We rented one of the cottages which had two bedrooms and a kitchen, living room and bathroom. The living room had french doors that opened to the motel’s swimming pool so it felt like we had our own pool! We were right on the Ocean and dogs were allowed both at the motel and the beach.

Indian Rocks Beach has several

really good parks for public use. My kids often visited these when we got back from a day of house hunting or job hunting. One of the nicest is the Indian Rocks Beach Nature Preserve. I think the Nature Preserve is probably my favorite nature trail in all of Florida. Boardwalks and trails go on and on through wooded areas and over water. Great place to just take a hike, admire the wildlife, bring your camera for some unique and interesting photo opportunities, and just take in the peace and quiet of a beautiful and serene park that is nature at it’s finest.

The beach is completely unspoiled, natural, the way it was meant to be. It is also considered to be one of Florida’s safest beaches. What is not to like? White Sand, dunes, and 3 miles of a ...

• very quiet less crowded beach. I often would go for long walks on this beach, looking for shells, and watching the waves roll in and completely forget about the time. What a special place!

There are a great deal of good restaurants in Indian Rocks Beach. We used to go to “Guppy’s on the Beach” quite often as well as “Crabby Bill’s.” Both had great atmosphere, good food and a friendly wait staff. “Crabby Bill’s” was a little less expensive than “Guppy’s”, but both were very good. Within walking distance of our cottage was a good delicatessen where my son often rode his bike and got to know the people that worked there. In fact, he even bought a bike from a guy who worked there. It was called “The Tacky Turtle” and they had great sandwiches.

We also could get good pizza and ice cream all within walking distance.

I had a scooter at the time, well, actually we had two. We often rode around on them and that was a great deal of fun in this little coastal community. Just up the street, were Uncle Milty’s Cabins that once belonged to Milton Berle. I’m not really sure if they are still there though. It seems to me I heard at some point that they had a fire or were torn down or something.

Indian Rocks Beach is just a little town but it has so much to offer. Had we decided to live on the West Coast, I think it would’ve been fun to have found a place in Indian Rocks Beach. It’s not a busy built up town and yet it’s close to Tampa and Clearwater area.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474701130/k2311a0918/9.18.08