Burlingame State Park and Campgrounds  » Travel  »
  • I noticed they also have a playground there for kids
  • They would've loved the entire experience of both the park and the campground
  • I love doing that, just sitting around a campfire like that talking with family or friends
  • I do however recommend that if you want to plan a trip there, you make reservations as early as you can

• by Why Georgia

When I was home to Rhode Island earlier this year, I had the opportunity to go camping with some friends in Charlestown at Burlingame State Park. I was born and raised in Rhode Island, and although I’ve heard of Burlingame Park and knew it was a popular park and campground, I had never even been there before, much less camped there.

I was amazed and thrilled at the weekend I spent there with our friends. The Park itself is on 3000 acres of land. People go there to go camping, fishing, swimming at Watchaug Pond, picnicking, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, bird watching and critter watching! They actually have canoes available to rent. We thought about doing that, but didn’t end up having the time with everything else they had planned.

I could not believe how huge the campground is. I was told there are over 700 campsites and 11 cabins for rent. While they don’t have hookups on the sites, they do have a dump station available as well as

showers to use. I noticed they also have a playground there for kids. I really wish I had taken my kids there when they were little. They would’ve loved the entire experience of both the park and the campground!

My husband, my friends and myself had a wonderful time swimming at the Watchaug Pond beach. The bottom there in the swimming area is nice! I hate going swimming in some of the ponds in RI when they have either rocky bottoms or mucky bottoms. This was all sand and I felt very comfortable swimming there. The water was nice and clear and it felt good to jump in on the hot day we arrived there!

They have picnic tables and an area for picnicking, although we didn’t use them. We ended up eating at our campsite while we were there, but the picnic areas looked nice, clean and well cared for. There is also a bathhouse area for changing up after a swim or before a swim.

At night, after we’d ...

• fix dinner, (which was wonderful in itself!), we all went to the Campground’s recreaction hall for awhile to shoot some pool. They have pool tables there as well as some video games. When we’d had our fill of that, we usually came back to our campsite and sat around a campfire talking about times gone by and catching up on what’s going on in our lives now. I love doing that, just sitting around a campfire like that talking with family or friends.

The second day, we decided to go hiking. The hiking trail that goes through Burlingame is part of a 72 mile trail that goes through Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts. We did NOT do the entire 72 miles obviously, but we did have a good long hike and saw all sorts of critters and birds. I had my camera handy and got some really good shots of a Red fox a family of raccoons, a couple brown rabbits, and even a few birds that were perched on nearby

branches of a pine tree along our path. I’m getting much better at getting close ups of wildlife.

I would’ve liked to have spent an entire week at Burlingame camping. We’ve talked about maybe doing it next year if I can get up to RI for a couple weeks. There is so much to do there and we really just picked a couple things that everyone agreed on. I would love to go there and go canoeing though and fishing for that matter.

I can’t say enough about it. It’s a beautiful way to spend part or all of your vacation. It’s convinced us that we want to take up camping! Just a lot of fun enjoying the outdoors and nature, laughing and catching up with good friends.

I do however recommend that if you want to plan a trip there, you make reservations as early as you can. Burlingame is a really popular vacation spot and it often fills up especially on holiday weekends and in the heat of the summer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474691130/k2311a0918/9.18.08