Palm Bay, FL  » Travel  »
  • I don't know about you, but when I think of a city, I think of high rises and that is not what Palm Bay is about

• by Why Georgia

For the last 15 years, minus 2 when I moved to South East Georgia for a job relocation temporarily, I have lived on the East Coast of Florida in a City called Palm Bay. I have often laughed at the notion that it is “The City of Palm Bay” because it doesn’t seem like a city. It’s more like a good size town. I don’t know about you, but when I think of a city, I think of high rises and that is not what Palm Bay is about.

Palm Bay is mostly neighborhoods, subdivisions if you will, schools, small businesses, a few grocery stores and small strip mall shops, the City Hall, Police Department and Public Library.

For the most part, I have always felt relatively safe living here. In recent years, the crime has gotten a little worse, but if you’re careful

and don’t take stupid risks like walking the streets late at night or leaving your house unlocked and broadcasting that it’s full of valuables, you’ll be okay.

There are lots of good reasons for living in Palm Bay. They have several great parks for public use in the area. They just opened a Skate Park that the teenagers seem to enjoy. They also have a Paintball park that my son used to go to when he was 17-18. They have many other parks that have ball fields, ponds for fishing, picnic areas and even a dog park! We also have an Aquatic Center on the Brevard Community College campus that has been a Godsend in the summer months for families that live here and don’t have pools.

There are just under 80,000 residents in Palm Bay. It’s a nice place to live if you want ...

• to be close to the beach, but yet close enough to go to Orlando. We are roughly an hour from Orlando, maybe a little less depending on traffic.

The City of Palm Bay has a good deal of community events, many for kids, such as softball and soccer. They often have festivals and classes that the community can sign up for. Of course, at the holidays, they have the usual Christmas festivities, such as tree lighting and a Holiday parade.

Good selection of restaurants in the area is an added plus. Every possible chain restaurant is represented either in Palm Bay or over the line in West Melbourne. We have Carraba’s, Applebees, Outback Steakhouse, Chili’s, and we have some local favorites that are out on US 1 along the Indian River such as Crow’s Nest and The Shack, both known for their views of the

river and their Seafood entrees.

The weather in Palm Bay is notoriously warm in the summer time with average temperatures in the mid 90’s and more often than not you can expect a late afternoon thunderstorm to move through and leave just as quickly as it came! In the winter, it rarely drops below the 50’s. We usually get maybe one or two nights where they threaten a frost, but for the most part, it’s a very mild climate even in the winter.

The City itself has been blessed with many roads that have been landscaped and received beautification awards. It’s nice to live in an area where Palm Trees have been planted and cared for in the median as well as other beautiful flowering shrubs like Oleanders. It’s for the most part a great place to live, with a lot to offer. It’s a pretty city!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474681130/k2311a0918/9.18.08