Williamsburg, Virginia  » Travel  »
  • One of these years, I decided to take a detour on my way home by way of Williamsburg, Virginia
  • Kids don't seem to be quite as impressed with the area as adults do, but I don't think history interested me all that much when I was little either
  • I fit as much as I could in though and I definitely want to go back again sometime with my husband

• by Why Georgia

I used to take trips back and forth between Rhode Island and Florida several times a year before the price of gas went nuts. I was born and raised in Rhode Island and my Dad and Brother still live there. I now live in Florida with my family. The trip gets to be pretty routine when you’ve done it about 40-50 times in your life. Eventually, I started to add little side trips to my routine.

One of these years, I decided to take a detour on my way home by way of Williamsburg, Virginia. Now I must say that originally I was going to go there to see the place my sister talked about for shopping that was called, “The Pottery”

I made reservations at a La Quinta near historic Williamsburg because I was bringing my dog along and it seemed affordable,

was pet friendly and close by to “The Pottery”. As it turned out, I was quite pleased. It wasn’t the Marriott, but I also wasn’t expecting the Marriott! It was clean, comfortable, safe and the desk was super helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

I did spend a day browsing (and spending!) at “The Pottery”, which turned out to be a much bigger place than I had imagined with way more interesting discounted merchandise than I had anticipated. Not only that, they allow you to bring your dog in if he fits in a basket, which mine does. It was so much more relaxing knowing my little one was with me instead of leaving him in a strange motel room all day!

The Pottery has everything from lawn statues, to clay pots for planters to, household decor, glassware, jewelry, lamps, dishes, nick knacks and ...

• more. I saw the entire thing, but could’ve just as easily gone back again the next day to do it again. So much to take in!

There are several Outlet Stores along this same section in Williamsburg if shopping is your thing. There is also the Williamsburg General Store and Trading Post that are entertaining too. If you like old time Country Stores, you’ll like this one.

Then there is Colonial Williamsburg which is beautiful simply in and of itself, but there is so much to learn here about a bygone era and the history of this beautiful place. There are Colonial Historical Homes you can tour and guided tours of the area, there is also the Jamestown Settlement. The thing of it all here, is they have people dressed in period costumes and people demonstrating trades of the time. You feel like you’ve gone back

in time. You can witness a Witch Trial. You can witness a fife and drum parade with soldiers in full garb! Kids don’t seem to be quite as impressed with the area as adults do, but I don’t think history interested me all that much when I was little either. Fortunately, the area is not only about the historical sites and activities. It has things that appeal to every age.

Busch Gardens is nearby and the kids love that. You can also head to Virginia Beach from there which is not all that far away. And of course you can go shopping! Plenty of area restaurants worth visiting as well. I could’ve easily spent a week here, but I only had two days. I fit as much as I could in though and I definitely want to go back again sometime with my husband.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474671130/k2311a0918/9.18.08