Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, FL  » Travel  »
State Road 405, Cape Canaveral, FL
  • Although I live here in Central Florida, I still make an effort to visit Kennedy Space Center every few years just to see what's new and well, just because my husband and I like going there once in awhile
  • The newest exhibit is the Shuttle Launch experience which simulates an actual launch of a space shuttle and you are on board
  • It's really interesting to see it's humble beginnings with real equipment from earlier times and to see how far we've come since the early days of the Space program
  • I don't think I'll ever forget the days when both Challenger and Columbia exploded
  • I think this was one of the better things we saw this last visit

• by Why Georgia

Although I live here in Central Florida, I still make an effort to visit Kennedy Space Center every few years just to see what’s new and well, just because my husband and I like going there once in awhile.

We used to take our kids when they were little, but kids often get bored with things like the IMAX theater film, so we often bypassed anything that might not have held their attention. So now that my kids are all grown and on their own, my husband and I get to do all of Kennedy Space Center’s offerings!

When you visit KSC, you get to see where everything happens when they launch rockets and space shuttles. We often see these launches depending on the time of day and the weather conditions right from our back yard. It’s pretty cool to actually see the launch pad, the vehicle assembly building where so much of the workings of these launches and protection of these shuttles take place. Whenever we are facing a possible hurricane or tropical storm, you hear them say they are going to have to wheel the shuttle back into the vehicle assembly building to protect it. Seeing the huge structure in person makes it all so real.

There are so many neat exhibits and shows at the space center to amuse all ages. They have some interactive simulators that take you through mission day training simulation. The newest exhibit is the Shuttle Launch experience

which simulates an actual launch of a space shuttle and you are on board. Very cool to say the least!

When you visit KSC, you will have an opportunity to learn all about the history of our Space program as well as how it currently operates. It’s really interesting to see it’s humble beginnings with real equipment from earlier times and to see how far we’ve come since the early days of the Space program.

There are a lot of optional things you can do at KSC besides the basic tour. They have a “Lunch with an Astronaut” program where you can actually make reservations to have lunch with one of the Astronauts that have actually been into space. This is really cool and they have had the likes of Story Musgrave, John Glenn and Jim Lovell among others. You have to make reservations and this fills up really quickly because it’s so popular.

My kids always loved the Rocket Garden, where there are several rockets all lit up with white and blue lights and a bright orangey-red light to resemble it’s engines. You can go inside these rockets to experience up close and personal what it’s like to be in the crew quarters.

Sadly, it has become necessary to add an Astronaut’s Memorial to the Space Center’s attractions. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the days when both Challenger and Columbia exploded. I still have a good deal of trouble watching launches these days. For ...

• that first few minutes, it feels like my heart stops as I hold my breath and pray as the shuttles take off and go up into the clouds. I never quite relax until they’ve safely landed back on Earth. I’m not even remotely related to anyone in the Space program, but living here just South of the Space Center makes it all so personal for me. This somber, but beautiful memorial has the names of everyone from both Space Shuttle disasters as well as the crew of Apollo I and other astronauts that died as as a result of training accidents

And as I mentioned previously, they have IMAX theaters, two of them actually and although my kids got restless and didn’t want to do these, my husband and I have. The way these theaters are set up, watching footage that was actually part of the Astronaut’s real experience, you feel as though you are really there in space. They change these movies periodically, but when we last went, which was just about a month ago, they were airing one about walking on the moon and another about the space station.

They also have a replica of an actual Space Shuttle where you can see what a shuttle experience is like for the Astronauts. It’s amazing to see close up as well as the two Solid Rocket Boosters. You just don’t realize how huge these things are and to think that they get propelled off the

ground and into space is truly amazing!

Another area worth mentioning is the Mad Mission to Mars. This one is funny and has this crazy professor that is supposed to be training us as Astronauts. He has these sidekicks, Kelvin and WD-4D too that are equally as funny. I think this was one of the better things we saw this last visit!

We had lunch at KSC and that is pretty much theme park fare. They also have my kid’s favorite place, the gift shop! I can’t even tell you how many packages we’ve purchased over the years of Astronaut Ice Cream! It’s actually a fairly good size gift shop and it does take you quite some time to go through it and see everything.

Kennedy Space Center is a good way to spend one of your days on your Florida Vacation and many people often leave the Disney area and come over to the East Coast for two days to do the Space Center and then spend a day at one of our beautiful Atlantic Beaches.

Kennedy Space Center has grown and changed so much over the years since I was little and it is now a full fledged day’s worth of activities and very much worth the trip. When I was little, it wasn’t that exciting and we never spent more than an hour or two there. Nowadays, we are there for a very full day and still don’t always get to see and do it all.

Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral, FL

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474651130/k2311a0918/9.18.08