Fort Wetherill State Park, Jamestown, RI  » Travel  »
Fort Wetherill Road, Jamestown, RI
  • I recommend it if you haven't seen it already or even if you have

• by Why Georgia

Fort Wetherill in Newport, RI is an historic fort that is located on some high granite bluffs and is open to visitors to explore and enjoy all it and the park has to offer. From Ft. Wetherill, you can see Newport Harbor perfectly and it makes for such a breathtaking sight if you’re a big fan of New England or anything Nautical in nature as I am.

I’ve visited this Fort many times. I’ve gone with my Dad as a child and as an adult to just use the park for relaxation and to look at Narragansett Bay from the various venues

that Fort Wetherill offers.

Sometimes I’ve gone there for other reasons. I go there with my brother these days to go fishing. It’s an awesome spot to catch Tataug, Sea bass or Flounder if it’s running.

Sometimes, I go there to share a picnic with my husband or my Dad. The place has special meaning to him because he often took my late Mom here for a ride. It’s so very New England and makes you proud to be a Rhode Islander.

Recently, my sister in law offered to go scuba diving here with me since that’s what she’s into and they often do ...

• that at Fort Wetherill, but I didn’t feel up to it, so I didn’t go.

The last time I went, seemed to be Kite flying day. There must’ve been 20 kites in the air, with 20 Dads and Moms running along with their little ones, trying to help navigate the kites and keep them in the air. It was really enjoyable to just sit there in my car and watch the families enjoy the place I hold dear in my heart.

Last, but certainly not least is the Fort itself that you can tour. It’s really cool with it’s

rich history and the tunnels that you go through. I had my nephew with me and he cracked up at the tunnels. They are really dark under there and more than once, I’d wished I had a lighter or a flashlight to see what I was walking into!

It’s a great spot to spend an afternoon and it’s free, which is always a great plus in my book. You can relax and do nothing there or really make a point of exploring it all and scuba diving as well. I recommend it if you haven’t seen it already or even if you have.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474631130/k2311a0918/9.18.08