Fishermen’s State park and Campground  » Travel  »
1011 Point Judith Road, Narragansett, RI
  • They have a playground for kids that my Granddaughter enjoyed
  • It cost us roughly $35 to camp there for the night
  • I know that's more than a lot of places, but I'm assuming it had to do with the very near by beach access and all the sightseeing available in Point Judith

• by Why Georgia

In South County, RI, there is an awesome place to go camping. It’s called Fisherman’s Memorial State Park. It’s been a couple years since I’ve camped there but when I did, I was very satisfied with all the park had to offer. It’s clean, very family oriented and it’s so close to Point Judith and all that it offers, that you never get bored.

At the end of the park, people often go wading and also go clamming. My husband and I did the last time we stayed there and ended up with enough quahogs to make a good chowder and some clam cakes. We did well and I was tickled at how much we got!

They have a playground

for kids that my Granddaughter enjoyed. They also have a basketball court where my husband and I had a blast every evening shooting hoops either together or with other guests. They also have a tennis court we used once or twice.

It’s all well taken care of, landscaped and really clean and more than anything, beautiful. No frills here though. No pool or beach at the site, but everything is within a quick distance, much of it by foot. You can easily head to Roger Wheeler State Beach, or the Block Island ferry dock or several historical sites in just a few minutes.

We enjoyed just being near the ocean and relaxing. It’s very safe and unlike some other ...

• campgrounds, I didn’t feel the least bit threatened or intimidated while there.

It cost us roughly $35 to camp there for the night. I know that’s more than a lot of places, but I’m assuming it had to do with the very near by beach access and all the sightseeing available in Point Judith.

The camp sites which are fairly large have full hookups, with electricity, water and sewer. It can be difficult to obtain a reservation at this site unless you book early as it’s a very popular campgrounds in Rhode Island.

We had fun there though. We ended up befriending a family from rural PA and we spent many a night, grilling and basically relaxing in the area,

reminiscing about days gone by in RI and some of the things we enjoyed as a kid.

We had a campfire every night while we were there and also used the campfire to cook dinner which was usually steaks, chicken or burgers where we cooked on a rack over our fire pit. People from all over the campgrounds were stopping by enticed by the heavenly smells!

Oh and they also have horseshoes, which I incidentally suck at, but my husband and son enjoyed immensely both together and with acquaintances!

We camped there with an actual camper/travel trailer that was loaned to us by a friend, but the next time I’m nearby, I want to camp there old style with a tent!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474621130/k2311a0918/9.18.08