Roger Wheeler State Beach or Sand Hill Cove, Narragansett, RI  » Travel  »
100 Sand Hill Cove Road, Narragansett, RI
  • My Dad also used to like going to Matunuck Beach, but not at night like that and I never enjoyed it as a kid as much as Sand Hill Cove
  • I noticed the last time I was there that they now have a nature center for kids that is awesome
  • I think that is very cool and I can't wait to take my Granddaughter there to show her

• by Why Georgia

One of the biggest and most fond memories that stand out in my mind is how as a child, in the summer, my Dad would come home from his work which was delivering Motor Fuel tanks to businesses for Suburban Propane on a hot summer evening and he’d be hot and tired, but he’d walk in the house and say, “Get everybody ready. Let’s go down to Sand Hill Cove and go for a swim.”

Now let me preface this review by saying that “Sand Hill Cove” is now called “Roger W Wheeler State Beach” The name was officially changed in 1970 to honor Roger Wheeler who was the person who created the state’s lifesaving system. However, no matter what it’s called now, we, as locals still refer to it as Sand Hill Cove. But it was just my favorite beach in all

of Rhode Island, which of course is known for it’s beaches, since it’s the Ocean State.

Why I preferred that beach as a kid? It has very small waves if at all. It is a cove of sorts and is protected by a peninsula. Not only that, you have to go a long way’s from shore before you hit a drop off where it gets deep. My Dad also used to like going to Matunuck Beach, but not at night like that and I never enjoyed it as a kid as much as Sand Hill Cove. The waves are pretty intimidating when you’re a slight little kid that is easily knocked off her feet!

It wasn’t only the lack of waves though. It was the time my parents spent with us at the end of a work day and we’d all go for a ...

• swim, play in the sand for a bit, rinse off in the water and then my parents would take us up to the playground. Sand Hill Cove has a wonderful playground and concession stand as well as a bathhouse.

There is plenty of parking at Sand Hill Cove (Roger W. Wheeler) and the beach isn’t usually as crowded as some of the other South County beaches which is wonderful! It costs $6.00 to get in weekdays, $7.00 on weekends, $12.00 if you aren’t a RI resident on weekdays and $14.00 if you aren’t a resident and you can get an annual pass for $30.00 and $60.00 for non-residents. When we used to go when my Dad took us or even as adults, you can get in free if you get there early enough or if you go late enough , which is what

my Dad did.

They have a nice picnic area with tables and the bathhouse has hot showers to wash off after your swim. I noticed the last time I was there that they now have a nature center for kids that is awesome. State Park Rangers actually take kids on walks along the beach to teach them about the beach, the tide and all the sea life in the area. I think that is very cool and I can’t wait to take my Granddaughter there to show her.

I live in Florida now and I have been to the beaches here and believe me, they have their own charms, but none will ever compare to Sand Hill Cove, aka Roger Wheeler’s State Beach and my memories of some hot summer evenings and my Dad and Mom making special times with us as a family.

Roger Wheeler State Beach or Sand Hill Cove, Narragansett, RI

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474601130/k2311a0918/9.18.08