Arcadia State Park, RI  » Travel  »
  • I love the natural beauty and the wildlife that you run into, but it's not as nice as it could be unfortunately because they allow mountain bikers and horseback riders to also use the same trails
  • I've never camped there but I bet it would be a fun experience

• by Why Georgia

I have been visiting Arcadia State Park in Rhode Island for years. As a child, I used to go there with my family to swim at the beach there. As an adult, I have often visited the park to go fishing, boating and to take hikes on one of the many trails that the park offers.

You can expect to catch Bass, Trout and when you fish Arcadia’s ponds, rivers and streams. We often fish at Breakheart Pond and also along Wood River. We’ve had some good fishing at both places and usually bring a picnic lunch and spread out a blanket on the ground. We’ve also gone boating on Breakheart Pond.

Hiking trails are

abundant here. The Arcadia Wildlife management system includes over 14,000 acres in all. I’ve hiked on 5 of the trails so far since starting to hike here. I love the area. I love the natural beauty and the wildlife that you run into, but it’s not as nice as it could be unfortunately because they allow mountain bikers and horseback riders to also use the same trails. I personally feel that they should have trails that are specifically for hikers and trails that are specifically for bikers and horseback riders. I guess I’m a little prejudiced in this department, but it’s been because of bad experiences. You’re supposed to share the ...

• road and yet when we were hiking there the last time, a group of mountain bikers came flying through without any regard for pedestrians on the trail and when they startled me, they found it all quite amusing. I didn’t think it was very funny because my husband had our granddaughter on his back in a carrier. They really could’ve slowed down and given us an opportunity to move over so they could pass easily. Instead they brushed against my husband’s elbow nearly knocking him over. Yeah, so that’s my little rant. That and the fact that we always come across huge piles of horse poo!

They also let you

camp in Arcadia park and have shelter rentals available. I’ve never camped there but I bet it would be a fun experience. Maybe when my Granddaughter gets older, we’ll do that. Even though Rhode Island is the biggest little state in the union and you could miss it if you blinked too much when driving through, there is still such a beautiful rural area in this part of the state. Seeing other parts of the state that have been so overdeveloped and changed so much since I was little growing up here, it’s still so nice to go back to Arcadia to see RI as it originally was before civilization moved in!

Irene Ovalles says :

Why is swimming not allowed anymore. It used to be great to spend an afternoon there. Also is it ok to fish with children without a permit. just a pole and hook and bread balls for sunfish

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474581130/k2311a0918/9.18.08