Block Island, RI  » Travel  »
  • I think you have to make reservations though to take your vehicle and in all the years that I have been spending time on Block Island, I have yet to take my vehicle, opting instead to either walk around on foot, rent a bicycle or a scooter
  • To me, part of the experience is taking that ferry ride over to the island
  • You don't get much closer to God than that in my opinion
  • There is just something so amazing about the simplicity of this life
  • I would recommend the Sea Breeze Inn as a wonderful place to have your little island getaway

• by Why Georgia

One of the most fun things ever to do when I was living in Rhode Island was to plan to take the Block Island Ferry over to the island and spend the day there.

If I sound like a proud parent when I speak of this beautiful place, I apologize. I am very proud of this little retreat from life’s sometimes harshness and it’s part of my home state of Rhode Island.

Block Island is a place to forget your problems for awhile. You leave behind the fast paced world and become, if only for a bit, an islander who doesn’t get too worked up over much of anything.

It has over 17 miles of unspoiled beach. It also has freshwater ponds that are the result of natural springs

The Block Island Ferry leaves out of Point Judith several times a day. It carries both passengers and vehicles. I think you have to make reservations though to take your vehicle and in all the years that I have been spending time on Block Island, I have yet to take my vehicle, opting instead to either walk around

on foot, rent a bicycle or a scooter.

There are also ferries that leave out of Newport in the summertime. I think they have some other boats that take you there quicker than the ferry as well, but I’ve never gone that route. To me, part of the experience is taking that ferry ride over to the island. Sometimes I have taken it in heavy fog. That’s the epitome of trust!

It’s roughly an hour’s ride from Pt. Judith to Block Island.

You know I’ve gone to Block Island for different activities. Sometimes, I merely go there to spend the day laying on their beautiful beach taking the “me” time to read a novel that I’ve been wanting to get to, and then enjoying “Happy Hour” and dinner at one of the island’s wonderful restaurants. Other times, I have gone for a weekend or even 4-5 days. These times, I’ve done more than the beach. There are so many things to explore on the island. There are these beautiful scenic bluffs that overlook the ocean. You don’t get much closer to God than ...

• that in my opinion.

I’ve spent an afternoon hiking with my husband and family on one of the islands many hiking trails. Other times we’ve rented mopeds for a day to go explore the other side of the island that is not near our ferry’s landing point.

Sometimes, it’s simply about spending quality time with my husband or my family or a dear friend. There is just something so amazing about the simplicity of this life. Block Island has less than a thousand residents that actually live there year round. They are some of the happiest, most content people I’ve ever met in my life and they welcome you to their island with open arms. All they ever ask is that you don’t abuse the place, pick up after yourself and leave the island in the condition you saw it in when you arrived for the next visitor.

We’ve gone to the lighthouse on the island and visited the local farmer’s market. There are so many cute shops and restaurants to discover. I’ve been visiting the island for years, and I still haven’t seen all there is

to see or experienced every restaurant and hotel.

The accommodations on Block Island are all unique and a personal experience. They don’t have chain motels there. You won’t find a Comfort Inn or a Marriott. They are all privately owned hotels and Inns that add their personal touch on your experience and your happiness genuinely seems to be important to them.

I would recommend the Sea Breeze Inn as a wonderful place to have your little island getaway. It’s not right in the busiest area, yet it’s not more than a few minutes away from the area near the harbor. It’s got a beautiful view of the ocean and the rooms are cozy and inviting and clean. Every morning, they have a wonderful continental breakfast with coffee and juice, fruit and fresh scones. They are so helpful with recommendations and advise on the island and it’s hidden treasures.

I will probably continue to visit Block Island as often as I can, not as often as I’d like to since I live in Florida now, but it will always be my place to escape life’s stress!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474571130/k2311a0918/9.18.08