Clearwater Beach, FL  » Travel  »
  • We were very disappointed when we were told that the house didn't pass inspection
  • Dining in Clearwater is sure to be a good experience no matter what your taste, preference or pocket book
  • So in summary, Clearwater Beach is a place I love to visit and would recommend for couples or families, but for me, it was not a place I wanted to live, but a lot of people do

• by Why Georgia

I had been coming to Florida from New England for vacations my whole life. My family always visited my relatives in Melbourne on the East Coast. We only went as far West as Orlando or Winter Haven when sightseeing so I had not seen anything on the West Coast until my husband and I first moved to FL and decided to spend some time on both coasts before deciding where to live.

We spent a few months on the West Coast looking for work and housing in Clearwater and Clearwater Beach. While I must admit that the beaches on the West Coast are beautiful, the gulf being absolutely gorgeous turquoise blue water in places and so many white powder soft sand beaches, but there was one thing, no a little more than one thing about Clearwater and Clearwater Beach area that was not so wonderful.

There was plenty of business over there for sure. There were stores of all kinds to keep an avid shopper happy for years. There were more restaurants over there than I could ever get tired of in a lifetime. And the housing, just like

on the East Coast had it’s affordable places and it’s prestigious wealthy areas.

They had some beautiful parks, a wholesale craft warehouse that I loved, Busch Gardens in neighboring Tampa, several wonderful shopping venues that were an adventure in and of themselves, some areas where I could take my dogs to the beach, yeah, lots of points of interest that would’ve made it a great place to live. We went house hunting and even began the process of buying one. We were very disappointed when we were told that the house didn’t pass inspection. It seemed like we kept hitting setback after setback, disappointment after disappointment. I grew to have a really uneasy feeling, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on what exactly was troubling me.

What became the deciding factor for us though was quite an earth shattering epiphany that came to me while sitting in traffic on US19. I suddenly looked over at my husband in the passenger’s seat and announced, “I don’t want to live over here.” He looked at me tentatively, more curious than anything else and said “Okay, where do you want to live?” I realized ...

• all at once that it didn’t feel like it would ever be “home” to me. The mood, the rhythm of the area just didn’t feel like me, like us. I would never be able to deal with all that traffic. It’s one thing to be on vacation there, but to live there and have to deal with that much traffic all the time just to run to the grocery store or Walmart? No.

However, to visit, Clearwater, and in particular Clearwater Beach is beautiful and you’ll never run out of things to do. We stayed at a hotel on the beach. We’d enjoy the beach by day and then at night, there was always a band playing at a nearby hotel and we’d walk over and grab a table overlooking the beach and listen to music, dance and have cocktails and appetizers with the other vacationers.

We would go fishing on Pier 60 which is open for fishing 24 hours a day. My husband loves fishing in the wee hours of the morning best, so this is right up his alley! We also liked going to Sand Key beach. They have

a dog playground there too so it’s good for those that like to do something special with their 4 legged friends on vacation.

There are many entertainment complexes that are geared to shopping and dining, some of them very unique. They also have a place called Celebration Station which is a great place to take kids. They have rides and games and go karts and mini golf.

Dining in Clearwater is sure to be a good experience no matter what your taste, preference or pocket book. They have all sorts of cuisines, levels of dining and themed restaurants. We used to love Sweetwaters, but they finally went out of business. A few others that are good and worth a visit include Cooter’s Raw Bar and Crabby Bill’s Seafood and Frenchy’s Rockaway on the beach.

And if by chance you do happen to run out of things to do in Clearwater Beach, visit neighboring Tampa for more to do. So in summary, Clearwater Beach is a place I love to visit and would recommend for couples or families, but for me, it was not a place I wanted to live, but a lot of people do!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474561130/k2311a0918/9.18.08