St. Simon’s Island GA  » Travel  »
  • Now, while I didn't like living in Brunswick, GA, there was one thing I did enjoy and would highly recommend
  • Unfortunately, it makes it almost impossible to get around the island in a hurry if you're heading somewhere specific or trying to get off the island
  • Beyond the beach, I think kid's would probably get bored fairly quickly and want a faster paced destination
  • The other thing we noticed was that they were almost all elderly and all seemed to know each other
  • What really bothered me the most though is that they advertise themselves as a casual dining experience

• by Why Georgia

We lived in Southeast Georgia for 2 years due to a job relocation. Now, while I didn’t like living in Brunswick, GA, there was one thing I did enjoy and would highly recommend. Just over the causeway from Brunswick is St. Simon’s Island, a popular tourist destination, part of what is considered, “The Golden Isles”.

St. Simon’s Island is picture perfect, with it’s narrow roads lined with huge Oak trees draped in Spanish Moss. I remember the first time my husband took me for a ride over there thinking how beautiful it was there and how nice it must be to vacation there. There are bike paths all over the island and on a summer’s day, the island is just crawling with bikers, walkers, joggers and tourists. Unfortunately, it makes it almost impossible to get around the island in a hurry if you’re heading somewhere specific or trying to get off the island. Traffic can be a bit of a nightmare at times, during rush hour, in the summer, during special events.

Although it has that little town feel, I will forewarn you that it has that big city price tag! People that tend to visit St. Simon’s are normally fairly wealthy. As such, the lodging is expensive, the stores are pricey and the dining while mostly wonderful is quite expensive depending on where you go. Mullet Bay

is wonderful and reasonably priced. Can’t say enough about this popular restaurant. Great seafood, wonderful tropical atmosphere, eat inside or dine out on the porch, always had a great time at Mullet Bay.

I lived in Southeast Georgia for a little over 2 years, but I was still finding new things on St. Simon’s that I had never seen or heard about before. There are lots of things to do, places to see, restaurants to sample and history and culture to take in.

Many people come to St. Simon’s to play golf. It’s also a popular spot for romantic getaways and also for the elderly set. Some families come to St. Simon’s for vacations but not that many. It’s not really a kid’s type of vacation. Beyond the beach, I think kid’s would probably get bored fairly quickly and want a faster paced destination. If peace and quiet is your thing, meandering on foot through the village checking out little shops and galleries, you’d love it here.

I once had dinner with my husband at The Georgia Seagrill in the village on St. Simon’s. The atmosphere was a little more upper class than I generally care for. In fact, although we were both dressed fairly nice, my husband in dress pants and dress shirt, myself in a skirt and blouse, we ended up actually feeling out of place. Other diners showed ...

• up in Suits and ties. The other thing we noticed was that they were almost all elderly and all seemed to know each other. I ordered Parmesan Crusted Flounder and as I recall, the portion was really small, it had a strange mix of flavors that I don’t generally associate with fish and the plate of food was all about the presentation and definitely not about the quantity! The dinners were $21-$28. What really bothered me the most though is that they advertise themselves as a casual dining experience. It was definitely NOT casual.

There are lots of nature oriented things to do on St. Simon’s. They have Sea Turtle walks. My daughter has gone on them before. Some are in the morning and some are late at night. They check the Sea Turtle nests and if there are any babies in trouble heading the wrong way, they point them back toward the ocean.

There is Fort Frederica where you can tour the remains of the old fort and there are also nature and hiking trails there that are fun to do of an afternoon.

We went to see the St. Simon’s Lighthouse which has been fully restored by some wonderful people who cared to keep it’s history around. The Lighthouse Keeper’s cottage is there as well thanks to them. You can go up in the lighthouse and see the

museum as well. It’s a decent climb up those steps and I almost didn’t make it with my back problems, but it was well worth it. It was a fun afternoon that I spent with my daughter.

There is a nice playground and picnic area called Neptune’s Park. It’s fun to take a picnic there and then watch the kid’s play on the swings. I took my Granddaughter here many times. There is also a mini golf course here and a fishing pier. I didn’t discover this park until the last few months that I lived in Brunswick! Makes it sound like St Simon’s is so huge or something, but it isn’t at all.

I could go on and on about the things to see and do here. Just think of a little town in the South overlooking the water and marshes, lots of old Southern houses, perfectly landscaped on streets that twist and turn with huge Oak trees hanging over the road, all draped in Spanish Moss. Imagine biking, walking, beaching, antiquing, kayaking, fishing, shrimping, eating ice cream cones on a hot afternoon as you browse shop windows….a picture perfect scene and it was all right in our back yard for two years.

I miss it, but I don’t. I hated living in Georgia for a lot of reasons, but I think St. Simon’s is a great place to visit!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474531130/k2311a0918/9.18.08