Beach Pond State Park  » Travel  »
SR 165 West, Exeter, RI
  • We'd spend the day swimming, meeting other kids, sometimes making the best of friends with other kids that also went there for repeat visits all summer
  • I think I've seen some people catch Catfish there as well
  • I believe there are also some rock climbing areas at the park too that rock climbing clubs enjoy
  • I have fond memories of the place so it will always be special to me and I enjoy getting back there now as an adult

• by Why Georgia

Every summer when I was a kid, my Grandparents would come up to my house at least once, and usually twice a week to take my brother and I to Beach Pond State Park to spend the day there. We’d leave at about 9:30 and it took about half an hour to get there. We’d spend the day swimming, meeting other kids, sometimes making the best of friends with other kids that also went there for repeat visits all summer. We’d build sand castles and my Grandparents always brought a picnic lunch so we’d go up to the picnic tables

about noon or so and they’d pour some water out of a jug over our sandy hands so that we could hopefully eat a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich and not a PBJ Sandy sandwich.

Beach Pond is a fresh water beach that is half in Connecticut and half in Rhode Island, but it’s considered a Rhode Island Beach by the State Parks division.

Since I grew up, I’ve had many occasions to go back to my beloved beach. Sometimes, I’ve taken a ride there to just lay in the sun and go for a swim. It’s a great place to take a picnic ...

• lunch. They also have a snack bar and restrooms.

There are other activities around the pond though. It’s a great site for boating which I’ve done with my family and a great place to go fishing. You can fish there for Trout, Perch and Bass. I think I’ve seen some people catch Catfish there as well.

If you’re into hiking, there are trails that leave from the beach area and go through the woods. I haven’t been on the trails since I was a kid and when I look at them now, they look steep and I’m not in the best of health so

I don’t feel up to the climb. I believe there are also some rock climbing areas at the park too that rock climbing clubs enjoy.

You often see canoes and kayaks here and small boats being launched at the boat launch which is on the Connecticut side of the pond. They also use Jetskis on Beach Pond too.

I have fond memories of the place so it will always be special to me and I enjoy getting back there now as an adult. Of course on the way home, I can no longer stop at Allyn’s Patio for a hotdog and an Orange Nehi!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474511130/k2311a0918/9.18.08