Goddard Memorial State Park, Warwick,RI  » Travel  »
1095 Ives Road, Warwick, RI
  • Personally, I think it's probably in both towns, but the mailing address is Warwick
  • They also have picnic tables by themselves that they now charge you $2 to rent, I found out the last time I was home
  • It was only the pavilions that used to cost like $30 per day

• by Why Georgia

Having grown up in East Greenwich, RI, one of my local stomping grounds was Goddard Memorial State Park, which is also in East Greenwich. Well, it all depends on who you talk to. Some say East Greenwich and some say Warwick. Personally, I think it’s probably in both towns, but the mailing address is Warwick.

Goddard Park is a pastime for Rhode Islanders. It’s got memories tied to it from Class Field Trips, Summer beach visits, family outings, 4 years of teenage drive throughs and hanging out in our sporty cars, horseback riding and so many other great times.

Goddard Park is 489.2 acres of rolling fields and forests with a winding road that goes up and down and around the park taking you to various facilities. They have picnic pavilions that you can rent out with tables and grills. They also have picnic tables by themselves that they now charge you $2 to rent, I found out the last time I was home. I

think they used to be free. It was only the pavilions that used to cost like $30 per day.

There is a boat launch area with plenty of parking and there is also a place where you can go horseback riding. The park has bridle trails throughout the woods and it makes for a really nice ride. I haven’t been since I was a teenager. And of course, there is the Beach. I’ve spent many days getting sun on this beach and even occasionally wading in the water here. In recent years, there has been several times that the water was closed to swimming for pollution reasons so that has pretty much turned me off on swimming there, but the park still has so much to offer besides swimming. Near the beach, there is a bath house as well as a snack bar and restrooms. There are other restrooms located in other parts of the park as well.

There used to be a magnificent carousel ...

• in the carousel building when I was a kid but it was sold for some reason, dismantled and split up in different locations. The carousel building, which in and of itself is beautiful has been fully restored and is now the home of concerts and events throughout the summer.

The park itself is home to many activities by the communities. You will always see a family reunion somewhere in the park just as my family does once a year. They also have car shows and walk a thons, many charity events, meetings and reunions of various clubs and organizations.

There is also a nine hole golf course at Goddard Park that is pretty popular in the area. And there is the Equestrian show area as well as 11 game fields where you can often find a softball game in progress.

When I was a teenager, it was popular to just do a Goddard Park drive through with your car all waxed up, windows down, music

playing on your tape deck showing off to all the other kids. Or bring your car to the park and spend the afternoon waxing it off on the side of the road in the park so others would drive by and see you! Ahhhh youth!

When I was really young, before high school, they used to have the main house which was originally owned by the donors of the park, the Goddard family. It was at the time a museum when I was a child with an insect zoo on one floor. The main house, as I recall was destroyed by fire in the mid 70’s. I always thought they should try to recreate it, but they haven’t as of yet.

Goddard park is a good way to spend a day with your family. There is plenty to see and do here and it’s free to get in the park. The only thing that costs is the use of the picnic facilities, the golf course and horseback riding.

rachel says :

Does Goddard Park let you pitch a tent and stay a night if you rent out a picnic site?

Edwin Allaby says :

When do the Lesters perform this summer at the park?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474501130/k2311a0918/9.18.08