The Fantastic Umbrella Factory, Charlestown, RI  » Travel  »
4820 Old Post Road, Charlestown, RI
  • The old Barns and chicken coop are a little rustic mini mall of unique and interesting shops
  • I definitely give this five stars for an off the beaten path thing to do in Little Rhody

• by Why Georgia

The last time I got home to Rhode Island, we were looking for something unusual to do or see that I hadn’t done before. This is difficult in Rhode Island because I was born and raised here and am known to be quite a traveler of sorts finding every little hiddenn oddity and gem there is to find. So in a state the size of Rhode Island, the task of finding me something to do or see that I had never seen or done before could prove to be quite the daunting task.

Nonetheless, a few quick phone calls to people that have lived there for their whole lives and know just about everything there is to know about our little state and I suddenly had a destination to go explore.

We were off to Charlestown, RI, in the South part of

the state to locate one “Fantastic Umbrella Factory”, what was described to me as a “60’s throwback type farm sorta- slash- flea market -slash-botanical garden thing” Okay. So off we went, camera in hand and guarded expectations based on a strange description.

So we made our way down Route 1 and took the Post Road exit and followed our yahoo directions until we came to the entrance to 4820 Old Post Road.

Wow….just wow! The description was darn near perfect! This place is such a cool way to spend an afternoon! First off, the gardens are just gorgeous! Wildflowers everywhere! You walk through these paths with wildflowers and hydrangeas, and more greenery and overgrown gardens everywhere! They have birds roaming around; peacocks, pheasants and geese and they have emus and sheep! You can feed them so ...

• it’s a cute place to bring your kids or Grandkids.

Then there are the shops. The old Barns and chicken coop are a little rustic mini mall of unique and interesting shops. You can buy jewelry, all natural clothing, handcrafts, vases, ornaments, incense and all sorts of other rare, unusual and unique novelties. Dave’s Den is a hippies bachelor pad! Black Lights, beaded curtains, the smell of incense in the air and everything you may have ever had the urge to shop for in the 60’s!

Mazzone’s Art Gallery is here as well open on weekends. Some really beautiful paintings of the Rhode Island Shoreline, Movie Stars and some Circus pictures as well.

They have a nursery there where you can buy some plants of your own to take home (so you can start your own Fantastic Umbrella Factory!) And before you

leave, do make sure to stop at the Spice of Life. What else would you expect to find at a 60’s throwback venue? An All Natural Vegetarian Cafe! We had a salad there complete with sprouts for lunch and then after we finished we ordered up a Milkshake to go.

The people here are so friendly! You really felt as though they appreciated you stopping by. Being that I live in an area now where sometimes you wonder who is doing who the favor when you walk into a local establishment, it’s nice to see old fashioned vendor retail ethics in place at this hippy dippy extravaganza! And I mean that “hippy dippy” comment in the nicest way! This place was cool. I definitely give this five stars for an off the beaten path thing to do in Little Rhody!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474441130/k2311a0918/9.18.08