The Crafts Center and Nye Barn, Plimouth Plantation, MA  » Travel  »
  • You can't feed the animals or touch them unfortunately, but it's understood why given their rare status
  • It was all very informative and amazing at how things were done back then
  • I think the entire Plimouth Plantation experience for my kids and I was a wonderfully enriching and rewarding experience
  • I could tell from their artwork and writings, that they enjoyed our trip and got a lot out of it just as I did

• by Why Georgia

When I took my kids to Plimouth Plantation in Plymouth MA on a bit of a history field trip for our home school, we saw many things. After visiting the Wampanoag home site, the Mayflower II and the 1627 village, we then decided to go visit the NYE Barn where the endangered animals that they have in the 1627 village live when they’re not out in the fields performing! Also we went to see the Crafts Center, where modern day artisans painstakingly create much of the tools and clothing that is seen being used and worn in the 1627 village.

First off, we got quite an education at the NYE Barn. The cattle and goats that are seen on Plimouth Plantation are considered rare and “heritage” breeds. They are breeds that were more prevalent back in the 17th century and have downsized substantially over the years

to where now they number fewer than 1000 in North America.

In the barn, there were lots of photographs and information about these Kerry Cattle and Devon Milking Cows as well as photographs and information about San Clemente and Arapawa Goats. They also have Tamworth Swine and Dorking Fowl. When we were there, many of the residents of the NYE Barn were out in the adjoining pasture, but we went looking for “Violet” a Milking Devon Cow and “Loiter” a Kerry Cow that we were told were two of the NYE Barn’s stars.

You can’t feed the animals or touch them unfortunately, but it’s understood why given their rare status. It was fun though to go and see some of the breeds that were indigenous to that time period and not so numerous and common now.

We also went to the Craft’s Center. This place was really very ...

• interesting. Even I learned something here! The artisans who are using 17th Century methods for making furniture, pottery, baskets, clothing etc. We talked to them for awhile and asked many questions. We came away finding out that the early settlers in Plimouth Plantation did not make their own furniture, clothing, pottery and baskets. They didn’t have the materials or the tools with them to do so in the new colony so these things were shipped from Artisans in England.

There are six wonderful Gift Shops at Plimouth Plantation. I usually pick on cheesy gift shops at most attractions, but these are anything but cheesy! They have everything there from gifts about the Mayflower to Native gifts from the Wampanoags and children’s toys and games, crafts, gourmet foods, books, jewelry, clothing and regular souvenirs. They also have some wonderful teacher’s resources.

It was all very informative and amazing at

how things were done back then. I guess you had to have the patience of a Saint! We came away from there feeling a little spoiled by the techno world we now live in.

I think the entire Plimouth Plantation experience for my kids and I was a wonderfully enriching and rewarding experience.

When we came home, all three of my kids did projects and reports on our field trip. I could tell from their artwork and writings, that they enjoyed our trip and got a lot out of it just as I did. It costs $28 for an adult but that includes admission to all of it, the Plantation, the Wampanoag home site, Nye Barn, The Craft Center and the Mayflower. $18 for kids 12 and under. You can get separate admissions to the Mayflower and the Plantation though. If you get a chance to go, do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474431130/k2311a0918/9.18.08