Grant, FL  » Travel  »
  • I think with the current economy, the building in Grant has probably come to a screeching halt and for that, I'm glad

• by Why Georgia

My parents have owned a Winter house in Grant, FL for about 20 years now. Grant, FL is South of Palm Bay and just a little North of Sebastian. They bought their house in Grant so they would have a place to go in the winter to get out of the cold in New England.

I remember the first time I drove out to Grant. It sounds like it’s hours away, but it’s not really. It’s about 15 miles from where we live now, but it’s really rural riding out there so it always feels a lot further than it really is.

Grant is a combination of demographics, I’ve noticed. You have people that have lived in and around Grant their entire lives and then you have people, on the wealthy side that have moved to Grant and bought or built their dream house on Grant Road in the acres of land along there. It’s still pretty rural out there, but it’s slowly but surely building up.

I think with the current economy, the building in Grant has probably come to a screeching halt and for that, I’m glad. It’s been nice to get out of the busy area of Palm Bay and Melbourne to take a ride out to the country to visit Grant.

Grant has very little going on for businesses. You have the Grant General Store which is a two story old house basically on the corner of US 1 and First Avenue. They’ve been there forever! You can get most anything you might be looking for at the grocery store here, but you obviously pay more. It’s nice though in a pinch when you’re cooking something and suddenly realize you’re out of baking powder or an Onion to be able to just run to the corner store instead of down to Sebastian to go to Publix.

Grant also has Tony’s Fish Market. When he first got started, I traded there all the time. He always seemed to only have fresh fish.

• In recent years though, I’ve gotten some less than fresh seafood from him and if I want that, I can get it at any grocery store.

And they have the Grant Post office where the same guy has worked for years and they have the Grant Fire Department which is often kept busy in the dry season with hoodlums setting wildfires in the brush on Grant Road.

Grant is also home to the Grant Seafood festival held in February of every year that draws thousands and thousands of people from all over the country. The festival is all volunteer run and it’s to benefit the Grant public Library and Community Center.

The main road going through there is Grant Road which also crosses over I-95 but does not have it’s own exit. Although there are plenty more homes there now that weren’t there when my parents moved there, it still is miles and miles of wooded area with some swamp land and some streams and ponds amid the

Palmetto bushes and brush.

Some people think of Grant as a Redneck town, but I lived in Rural Georgia. That was a redneck town. Grant just appears to me to be a family oriented community that takes care of it’s own. Weekends are for playing hard in Grant and you always see people either using four wheelers, or going mudding in their pickups, having family cookouts, fishing in the ponds or feeding the ducks.

Riding down Grant Road is always an adventure. People tend to have unusual mailboxes in the shape of a cow or a propeller or a barn. You never know when a dog or a chicken or a turkey or a snake or an armadillo will cross your path. Occasionally, you even see Deer!

Mostly Grant is country life. Ponds to fish in, Ducks to feed, Gardens to grow, Flowers to pick and Porch Swings and Cookouts. I wish I could live in Grant. Prices on real estate out there are too much even in this economy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474361130/k2311a0918/9.18.08