Bok Tower Gardens, Lake Wales,FL  » Travel  »
1151 Tower Boulevard, Lake Wales, FL
  • I can remember my kids griping and complaining that we were going there because they thought it would be boring
  • When they got to the Gardens, however, I think the three of them were totally in awe of the beauty of this place and when the Carillon concert began, they stood there mesmerized at the beautiful sounds echoing around us
  • Bok Tower Gardens has some things just for kids that help keep them occupied should they not be so impressed by the natural beauty

• by Why Georgia

From the time I was a child, I have regularly made visits to Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, FL. It’s considered to be a Sanctuary and I can’t think of a better way to describe it.

Bok Tower Gardens are a virtual carpet of beautiful flowers, lawns, and serenity. Not only can you roam the gardens and take in their peace and tranquility, but you can picnic here with your family as well. They have a Nature Observatory with benches and a huge window overlooking the gardens and the pond.

But perhaps the biggest attraction here is the 205 foot Carillon tower that provides visitors to the garden with daily concerts with it’s 60 bells. It is absolutely beautiful and so majestic, all created with stone. So aptly named the “Singing Tower”, it rises above the pond and shows it’s full reflection in the

water below. It’s just breathtaking to experience.

I took my kids to Bok Tower Gardens to introduce them to this very special place that held so many memories for me as a child. I can remember my kids griping and complaining that we were going there because they thought it would be boring. They were trying to talk us into a Theme Park the entire ride over from Palm Bay.

When they got to the Gardens, however, I think the three of them were totally in awe of the beauty of this place and when the Carillon concert began, they stood there mesmerized at the beautiful sounds echoing around us.

Bok Tower Gardens has some things just for kids that help keep them occupied should they not be so impressed by the natural beauty. They have what they call Rubbing Posts throughout the Garden that the kids can ...

• look for as they explore. They give them some paper so that they can make rubbings of different things they find along the way. They also have certain places in the Gardens that kids just seem to enjoy that they suggest you look for and point out to the kids. They have a vine covered tunnel that kids seem to think is “cool”

You can tour the Pinewood Estate as well if you wish. The Pinewood Mansion is a 20 room historical house that was owned by C. Austin Buck, a well known industrialist. I actually have never toured the mansion. It costs for admission that is over and above admission to Bok Tower Gardens and I just love the Gardens and the Carillon and that is the main reason I visit.

We took a picnic lunch with us this time when we went. They have areas with picnic

tables in the Gardens and we spread out a tablecloth and sat down to some homemade Fried Chicken, Potato Salad and cut up veggie sticks. The kids really seemed to enjoy it.

They do have a nice cafe though that serves salads, sandwiches, soups, beer and wine where I have eaten before. It’s called the Blue Palmetto and it’s really nice and you can sit outdoors and enjoy your lunch with a glass of wine. The food was very good here and prices were about as you would expect.

Bok Tower Gardens cost me about $8 for adults to get in and I think the kids were like $2 each. It may have gone up since then though as it’s been awhile since I’ve been there. A really nice peaceful sort of way to spend a day in Central Florida and maybe get away from the Touristy Theme Parks for a change!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474321130/k2311a0918/9.18.08