Ocracoke Island Lighthouse, Ocracoke, NC  » Travel  »
  • No, seriously, I love lighthouses and visit them and photograph them as often as I can
  • The Lighthouse is not accessible for climbing unfortunately
  • Seeing this lighthouse was really interesting to me because I had read the history

• by Why Georgia

One of the times that we visited the Outer Banks, we decided to go stay on Ocracoke Island. Ocracoke has a lighthouse which is alright with me! No, seriously, I love lighthouses and visit them and photograph them as often as I can.

Ocracoke is an attraction in and of itself. It’s unique, but in a very good way. People feel “at home” here. The locals mix with the tourists and as long as your respect the locals ways, you’ll get along fine!

Ocracoke Island is considered a remote island because you have to rely on ferry service or personal watercraft to get to the

mainland. Ocracoke has a population of roughly 800 people. Ocracoke is a force to be reckoned with as far as I’m concerned. All of us with our petty tech issues mean nothing here. If you are from Ocracoke, you know how to survive, how to live and how to live prosperously.

The Lighthouse is not accessible for climbing unfortunately. It is the second oldest Lighthouse in continuous operation and has been so since 1823!

You can go to the property though and take pictures of the outside and grounds. Ocracoke is a really rural island with lots of local color. The residents that live here for the most part are very friendly and helpful.

When we went to this lighthouse, we planned to bring a picnic, but after finding it, we realized that it wasn’t an open for public grounds and we couldn’t have our picnic here. It didn’t turn us off though from appreciating what the Ocracoke Light is.

Some of my favorite things about this lighthouse are about the Lighthouse Keepers that took care, watched over and maintained the Light.

The Ocracoke Lighthouse is 75 feet tall, not nearly the highest of lighthouses, but still an important part of Ocracoke’s history. The diameter is 25 feet at ...

• Ocracoke Island Lighthouse, Ocracoke, NC
      it’s base but narrows to 12 feet at it’s upper tower.

The lighthouse was destroyed once back in 1818 by lightening. Eventually, the Government purchased land (2 acres) for $50 and a new lighthouse was built in 1823.

Seeing this lighthouse was really interesting to me because I had read the history. It is and was disappointing that we couldn’t go inside the Lighthouse, but I was still happy to see the Light and be able to go on property nearby and photograph it and take it all in.

After seeing the LIght and spending time there taking pictures, we then went on to Ocracoke village where we

ended up meeting many people who had been there many times before as well as people that lived there and have been there since birth.

All I can say is this is a wonderful little island to explore and if you treat it and the people of this island right, they will fulfill all your questions that you ponder (and you do) and then some. Come here yes, but respect the island and the residents of Ocracoke.

I talked with some locals who had stories to tell of early history of the Light and it’s roll during storms and back when Sea faring people depended on this little short but wide Lighthouse.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381809474261130/k2311a0918/9.18.08