Colorado Technical University Online  » Education  »
1.0
4405 N. Chestnut St. Colorado Springs, Colorado
  • Unfortunately, what I didn't know was that I would lose credits in transferring--which knocked me down from a 2nd semester junior to a sophmore again
  • The admissions rep told me that it wouldn't be a problem
  • Having attended other, more traditional schools in the past, I would have to say that my online educational experience with Colorado Technical University is not one that I would recommend to others

• by McAlister

When I chose to take online courses through Colorado Technical University, the reasons were the same as everyone else’s. I have kids, I was working full time and I didn’t live close to the school I had attended before. I also liked the fact that they are an accredited institution and that counts for a lot with employers. Unfortunately, what I didn’t know was that I would lose credits in transferring–which knocked me down from a 2nd semester junior to a sophmore again. What that translated to was extra time and classes that I had to take.

(Meaning extra money to be paid to an already expensive school. ) I also had trouble in defining what my major was to be, due to poor communication with the recruiter.

I had been in a traditional school setting at CU Boulder, taking International Affairs and through Colorado Technical University, I was interested in International Business and E-Commerce. The admissions rep told me that it wouldn’t be a problem.

But, what my major ended up being was Business Administration, and that is not what I chose. I didn’t know that until I got into the courses and learned to use the website. Additionally, when it came down to the actual classes, I expected to have local professors teaching the courses since I live in Colorado. Unfortunately, they were spread out all over the country.

That means that we were operating out of different time zones and local climate changes didn’t effect them. For example, when we had a blizzard and power went down, they still expected assignment deadlines to be met. Sometimes we had technical problems with the streaming audio used in the classes. Even under good conditions the streaming audio was difficult to hear.

I was taking 2 classes weekly and was told that if I wanted to “decelerate”, meaning take only one class weekly, that I would have to pay extra money for that. There were times when two classes were too much, such as when I had Statistics, Economics, or Managerial Accounting. I felt that these classes were hard enough that taking another one on top of those was simply too difficult as my time was already being stretched. I did it anyway ...

• Colorado Technical University Online
      and kept my grades up, but I can tell you that for the year and a half that I was involved in courses with Coloardo Technical University, my kids didn’t participate in extracurriculars at school.

Many times, I missed family outing on weekends and I scheduled all of my time away from work around my school schedule. The marketing people that recruit you over the phone make it sound so easy, but for each course you take, there are 2 streaming audio classes, and two projects each week for each class. There are group projects that are usually power point presentations, and many courses have one of those — but some have two. Group projects can be difficult because getting the other people in your group all on the same page can

be like pulling teeth.

Some of them don’t participate at all. For two of my classes I was the only person in my group project. One of my professors stated that he would not accept a “group project” from only one person. There are generally between 5 and 7 people assigned to a group.

Getting in touch with your professor is highly variable as well. The better ones will give you a contact phone number or check their e-mails regularly. I have had some that would take several days to return an e-mail. Having attended other, more traditional schools in the past, I would have to say that my online educational experience with Colorado Technical University is not one that I would recommend to others.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501809472050730/k2311a0918/9.18.08