Tropic Thunder (R, 2008) movie  » Movies  »
  • They typically have that one caucasian star who has won multiple awards for some amazing feat in Hollywood
  • There were lots of parts that I found hilarious, yet the audience I was sitting with seemed to miss much of the humor
  • I think it's because the audience was majorily white, and perhaps they were afraid to laugh too hard at jokes that seemed to be poking fun at African Americans
  • The movie is spoofing itself, basically - and I love it

• by Famous

I was a little surprised by how much I actually liked this film. I really thought that Robert Downey, Jr. in “black-face” would cause some issues for the director, producer, and actors.

But it seems that perhaps people are seeing about this film what I see. The movie is in fact a parody of

the way Hollywood war films are made.

They typically have that one caucasian star who has won multiple awards for some amazing feat in Hollywood. Additionally, when there is an African-American member of the cast, that guy usually has all the “cool” lines.

Robert Downey, Jr. did an excellent job of portraying the nuances of that guy.

Not black people in general, but the way Hollywood studios tend to portray black people in those films. For that reason alone, I felt like this was a brilliant film, excellently cast.

Even casting Ben Stiller as a kind of has-been sentimental actor was a good idea, because people rarely take Ben Stiller seriously in films—meaning that he ...

• Tropic Thunder (R, 2008) movie
      has too much “comic value. ” Ironically, he plays a fading action hero who is trying to become serious in his films.

There were lots of parts that I found hilarious, yet the audience I was sitting with seemed to miss much of the humor. I think it’s because the audience was majorily white, and perhaps they

were afraid to laugh too hard at jokes that seemed to be poking fun at African Americans.

But that is so NOT what the movie itself is about. In any case, to appreciate this kind of humor, you would have to understand how mundane Hollywood can actually be in its film production.

The movie is spoofing itself, basically - and I love it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111609470601230/k2311a0916/9.16.08