Dos Amigos Mexican cuisine  » Restaurants  »
144 Bayside Road, Northport, Maine
  • I had no problem imagining I was back in Texas or New Mexico as I was sitting inside, admiring the well designed building
  • It is not a large dining area and on a busy night you'll find yourself crowded-- the best option is to go during the day for lunch, although it does make a great place for excellent after-work margaritas as well
  • Each time I've eaten there the meals have been filling, heavy, and satisfying, with a delicious array of spices joining whichever meats you choose
  • I prefer a lot of heat in some of my dishes, and Dos Amigos doesn't quite appease my inner habanero lover, but that's a very small complaint (and true Mexican food doesn't involve a lot of spicy heat)

• by Wingwoman

Mexican cuisine is about more than the food, it’s also about atmosphere: the openly friendly celebration of friends and family is what makes each meal great. Nestled near a mass of pine trees in Northport, Maine (just outside of Belfast), there is a garishly colored building with a sombrero-wearing sign touting “Dos Amigos” as its name.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.

The inside is pure southwestern flair, with every color carefully selected to bring out the warm happy tones of the southwest.

I had no

problem imagining I was back in Texas or New Mexico as I was sitting inside, admiring the well designed building.

It is not a large dining area and on a busy night you’ll find yourself crowded– the best option is to go during the day for lunch, although it does make a great place for excellent after-work margaritas as well.

The menu is not enormous, but it has everything you’d expect (nachos, enchiladas, chimichangas).

There are a few locally inspired dishes, but I tend to steer away from ...

• those in general, trusting in the traditional cuisine instead.

The appetizers are as worthy as the entrees, and you’ll be welcome to mix and match them however you chose.

The wait staff is very friendly and willing to listen to any substitutions you’d like to make, though the order does take a while to manifest on your table.

Each time I’ve eaten there the meals have been filling, heavy, and satisfying, with a delicious array of spices joining whichever meats you choose.

I prefer a lot of heat

in some of my dishes, and Dos Amigos doesn’t quite appease my inner habanero lover, but that’s a very small complaint (and true Mexican food doesn’t involve a lot of spicy heat).

It is moderately expensive, so make sure you and your guests know what they’re getting into and have brought their appetites for zesty, cheesy goodness.

You won’t find any hamburgers to console the friend who wanted to go to Wendy’s, so bear that in mind.

If you do happen to have leftovers, bring them home– that’s when Mexican food shines!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71609470121130/k2311a0916/9.16.08