Wednesday Night Witches by Lee Nicols
  • Now I know it, identify it as authenticity
  • I don't like my novels to be too pat, but the details have to be there, and they have to work

• by honeybea

I love witchy plots. So full of mystery, witches all bear an aura of otherworldliness, an ethereal quality that the ordinary often lack. Mysterious, they sit with one foot in our world, one in what is called the shadow world. Witches are something we all aspire to.

I’ve read a lot of good witchy

novels, Nora Roberts chief among them, but something was always lacking. Some inconsequential something or other, that unfathomable nameless something was just not there. I never knew what it was.

Now I know it, identify it as authenticity. Robert’s plots were good, but the details didn’t mesh with preconceived notions. They made you ...

• wonder, is this character really a witch, or is she just pretending? Does this character really know what they’re doing? Does the author, for that matter?

This is something I didn’t like. I don’t like my novels to be too pat, but the details have to be there, and they have to work.

They just have to work. And a lot of Robert’s plots didn’t do it for me.

In Wednesday Night Witches, the proof is in the details. This author has really done her homework, writing one precious gem of a novel.

One thing I didn’t like was the end; too pat, too put together.

A seven out of a ten.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171609469891130/k2311a0916/9.16.08