National Marine Corps Museum  » Travel  »
18900 Jefferson Davis Highway Triangle, Virginia
  • The first time I was there we were impressed by the fact that you are given free audiotape recorders to take around and use at the various exhibits within the museum
  • I believe it is suitable for Elementary age children and up
  • I think the Marine Museum does a great job of telling the history of the marines and their traditions of honor, duty and sacrifice

• by snowy

I have finally visted twice the museum that has captivated my interest for a long period of time. It is the National Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia. The Marine Corps Museum in visible from I 95, and I had driven past it several times while it was being built.

It is an impressive structure with a huge (210 foot mast) atop 160 foot glass atrium. I couldnt wait until it was completed and I could visit.

The first time I was there we were

impressed by the fact that you are given free audiotape recorders to take around and use at the various exhibits within the museum. Alot of museums offer these, but you have to pay for them generally.

There are a huge variety of exhibits available which can serve to make visitors feel they are part of the action. You can immediately transport yourself to being in the middle of the Korean war or being on a transport vessel about to land on Iwo Jima.

The ...

• museum does a great job of telling the history of the Marine Corps from it’s inception just after the Revolutionary War to the current situation in the gulf and Afghanistan. Each seperate exhibit is marked and you can follow along with your audio recorder.

Future exhibits are going to tell more of the situation of the Revolutionary War, the Civil War as well as World War;s I and II and political situations leading up to these wars. They will also tell of Kuwait and the Balkans.

You can not

help but be impresssed by the history of the Marines as well as their traditions. I believe it is suitable for Elementary age children and up.

The Marine museum has a large gift shop on site, as well as two restaurants and other amenties are available. It is part of a complex a Memorial Garden,other things such as parade grounds and other Marine artifact restorations.

I think the Marine Museum does a great job of telling the history of the marines and their traditions of honor, duty and sacrifice. Semper Fi!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381509469131230/k2311a0915/9.15.08