Natural Chicken Flavor Adult Cat Food
  • After reviewing the first 6 ingredients of this brand of cat food, I would give this brand of pet food a PASSING (B 73%) grade and even consider it good enough to feed my cats
  • In this brand of pet food, here is the breakdown with 5 being the best and 1 being the worse
  • The cost of this food is around $35 for a 25 pound bag and to me that is a very good value for such a good quality and nutritious pet food
  • I was so impressed with the ingredients of this food (and the value) that I bought some online and currently switching my cats over from their previous food (Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul) to this brand
  • The more nutritious foods are more expensive, but it has been my experience that in the long run, I save money not only because my pets eat less but I do not go to the Vet's office as often

• by Mary Beth Hofmann

AS A PARENT OF NINE PETS and educator of people on the proper care of pets, I do Pet Food Analysis’ of the ingredients of pet foods to make owners aware of just what they are feeding their pets. After reviewing the first 6 ingredients of this brand of cat food, I would give this brand of pet food a PASSING (B 73%) grade and even consider it good enough to feed my cats.

It is very rare that a pet food reaches the 80%-100% bracket and any food that has a percentage that is 70% and up is pretty good. Most pet foods, and this is very sad, is between the 40%-60% range. Even a lot of the more expensive and “Veternarian Recommended” pet foods.

THE FIRST SIX INGREDIENTS of any product make up the bulk of the food and are the most important. In this brand of pet food, here is the breakdown with 5 being the best and 1 being the worse:

01 CHICKEN MEAL 5 Best - Concentrated chicken meat, more protein since water weight has been removed. Excellent source of protein for cats, good source for dogs.

02 GROUND BARLEY 5 Best - Excellent source of nutrients and dietary fiber; is low gluten grain, non-allergenic source of protein.

03 CHICKEN FAT (STABILIZED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS) 4 Good - Good source of energy and flavor, preserved with Vitamin E, but dogs do better with vegetable and fish oils.

04 CHICKEN 3 Average ...

• - Gimmicky, not enough available to be therapeutically beneficial, plus it’s full of water weight, gets it listed high on the label but robs dry food of meat protein, fine in can food.

05 CHICKEN LIVERS 3 Average - Source of iron, necessary for red blood cell production, and flavor. Too much liver can be toxic.

06 GROUND BROWN RICE 5 Best - Is whole ground, very nutritive grain, source of protein, dietary fiber.

MY CONCLUSION on this brand of cat food as a Pet Food Analysis’ is that this is really is pretty good nutrition for your pet. Four out of the top six ingredients is either Best/Good and there is no Poor/Worse rankings. It is very normal and common to find at least

1 or 2 of the lower rankings in the first six ingredients but in this case, this does not apply. The cost of this food is around $35 for a 25 pound bag and to me that is a very good value for such a good quality and nutritious pet food.

I was so impressed with the ingredients of this food (and the value) that I bought some online and currently switching my cats over from their previous food (Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover’s Soul) to this brand.

The more nutritious foods are more expensive, but it has been my experience that in the long run, I save money not only because my pets eat less but I do not go to the Vet’s office as often.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291409468791230/k2311a0914/9.14.08