Purina’s Kit & Kaboodle Original Medley Cat Food  » Pets  »
2.8
  • After reviewing the first 6 ingredients of this brand of cat food, I would give this brand of pet food a FAILING grade and even consider it (after reviewing the rest of the ingredients) as potentially harmful to your cat
  • In this brand of pet food, here is the breakdown with 5 being the best and 1 being the worse
  • The more nutritious foods are more expensive, but it has been my experience that in the long run, I save money not only because my pets eat less but I do not go to the Vet's office as often

• by Mary Beth Hofmann

AS A PARENT OF NINE PETS and educator of people on the proper care of pets, I do Pet Food Analysis’ of the ingredients of pet foods to make owners aware of just what they are feeding their pets. After reviewing the first 6 ingredients of this brand of cat food, I would give this brand of pet food a FAILING grade and even consider it (after reviewing the rest of the ingredients) as potentially harmful to your cat.

THE FIRST SIX INGREDIENTS of any product make up the bulk of the food and are the most important.

In this brand of pet food, here is the breakdown with 5 being the best and 1 being the worse:

01 GROUND YELLOW CORN - 2 Poor - Indicates feed-grade source of protein/filler, not “whole” ground.

02 CORN GLUTEN MEAL - 1 Worse - Waste product, cheap, non-nutritive filler but used as protein source — can cause allergies and sugar imbalance.

03 SOYBEAN MEAL - 3 Average - Dogs can not digest soybeans, can bloat/die. Good source of protein and fiber for cats.

04 CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL - 1 Worse - Ground up carcasses, internal organs, beaks, feet. Concentrated.

05 BEEF ...

• TALLOW PRESERVED WITH BHA - 1 Worse - Terrible source of fat chemically preserved with potential carcinogen but uses “Vitamin E” to mislead consumer. Indicates very poor quality product.

06 FISH MEAL - 2 Poor - Poor source of fatty acids (the oil has been pressed out), non-descriptive source indicates poor quality used.

MY CONCLUSION on this brand of cat food as a Pet Food Analysis’ is that this is really cheap for a reason. The color additives alone in the list of ingredients are very harmful and can lead to some serious health problems down the line for your pet

and shorten it’s life span considerablely. It is a proven fact that better nutrition means your pet will eat less, have less health problems in the short term (vomiting, runny stool, dull fur and excess shedding, etc.)and in the long term (allergies, kidney disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.).

The more nutritious foods are more expensive, but it has been my experience that in the long run, I save money not only because my pets eat less but I do not go to the Vet’s office as often.

Remember, YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT and that applies to pet’s too!

Jorge Gonzalez S says :

Hello, I just read a review of Purina`s Kit`N Kaboodle you posted at reviewstream.com For a while I have been looking into a co-relation between allergies and Kit`N Kaboodle because I have 3 cats and 2 of them keep scratching constantly and I have treated them for fleas, I have treated my house I have changed most of their diet, their routines and I have even implemented the use of supplements like salmon oil on their diet but the only constant is that I still use Kit`N Kaboodle. The salmon oil has been wonderful for the skin of 2 of them but they still scratch and on my list the only thing left to change is Kit`N Kaboodle. I have not found any bad reviewd aside from your but yours sounds thorough and perhaps confirms my fears. After reading your review I am ready to try some other food but in the past I tried lots of brands and that one they do like a lot (aside from the affordable price of course). Their diet is I would say 1 3 dry (Kit`N Kaboodle) 1 3rd Friskies cans ( a different variety each day , 1 can shared by the 3 cats) and 1 3rd chicken livers I cook for them every week. I am tired of being stressed out seen 2 of my cats scratching all the time (one of them makes big holes on her skin sometimes). I want to try some other dry food but I don`t know where to go, what to try. Can you recommend something and if so why? Thanks in advance.

Syrethyne says :

I think my cat likes this food a lot, he is a pure-bred Khao Manee. He has not had any of these issues, so maybe cats can differ on allergies by breed.

Leslie says :

Hi There,
    I just switched my cats to this food maybe 2 months ago. Then the past month everyone of them has been digging. In fact one keeps pulling clumps of fur out. They love this food I hate switching them, but after reading this I am. Didn’t realize how bad this food is for them. They never dug like this until I put them on this food either. Thanks for sharing this post Can you reccommend a more less expensive that brand isn’t like this?? I do rescues and so have many kittys to feed
    Thanks in Advance
    Leslie

crystal says :

unfortunately if you want a quality brand with quality ingredients you will have to spend more money. ive done a lot of pet food research and this has been the ultimate conclusion every time. im a big fan of wellness brand.

Claudia Currier says :

My cat has been eating Kit Kaboodle for many years. She loves it Recently she can’t stop itching her ears and shaking her head. $ 500 in vet bills later it was decided she has a food allergy. I have tried many new cat foods: Nutrish, Crave, Beyond, and Purina One but she refuses to eat them. She has lost weight so I started giving her 1/4 can of Trader Joe’s canned cat food. Tomorrow I’m going to get Blue Buffalo basic turkey and see how she likes that. Only Purina One made her itch but if she won’t eat the others it isn’t a solution either. Any suggestions? She is a 10 year old indoor cat.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291409468781230/k2311a0914/9.14.08