Full Metal Jacket  » Movies  »
  • While I agree that the first forty minutes are funny, I believe we learn a lot more about the characters and that that is what Kubrick had intended
  • I believe you could talk about this movie in two halves
  • In the second half, we are shown the brutalness of the actual war and I found this half more powerful than the second half

• by Artie17

Full Metal Jacket is one of the most powerful and hard hitting war movies ever made. The late Stanley Kubrick is a genius and he shows us that in this movie.

Right of the bat, we are shown how brutal and shocking just the basic training is under one of the most brutal sergeants ever put

on screen.

While I agree that the first forty minutes are funny, I believe we learn a lot more about the characters and that that is what Kubrick had intended.

I believe you could talk about this movie in two halves; the first half which I just described above (comedic as it were) and then we ...

• actually get the war (no more laughs at this point, get them out of your system).

In the second half, we are shown the brutalness of the actual war and I found this half more powerful than the second half.

We see the unexpected death of many characters and there is no remorsing for these characters.

The others just go on as if it really were a war.

This struck me in such a way that I could not explain.

In most war movie, you see the deaths coming and then there is a big fuss about that death.

Not this movie.

Amazing.

Definitely a must watch in my opinion.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111409468601230/k2311a0914/9.14.08