Cincinnati Bengals  » Sport  »
1.5
  • After seeing them, I have to say I think Marvin Lewis needs to be afraid of losing his job after the year
  • The Packers were starting Aaron Rodgers, who has never started a game before and, because he's been on the bench behind Brett Favre for a number of years, has very limited experience
  • And, I don't think that was because he's that talented

• by Steve

I didn’t know a whole lot about the Cincinnati Bengals this year until I got a chance to watch them first hand last night against the Green Bay Packers in pre-season. After seeing them, I have to say I think Marvin Lewis needs to be afraid of losing his job after the year. Since it’s pre-season, my idea of their starters is going to be limited to just what I saw in the quarter or so of action. First, last season, the Bengals were known for being a high-powered offense but little defense.

This year, at least from what I saw, I would be concerned about them having neither. Carson Palmer was trying and they had a running game for a bit

there. But, the Packers defense pretty much dominated the team throughout; with the exception of one drive where there was some poor tackling and a missed assignment that led to a touchdown.

But, it should be noted that several defensive starters weren’t even playing for the Packers that night. I’m not sure where the drop off comes from but I have serious doubts about this team putting up points this season. Good luck if Palmer gets hurt.

The defense was really pathetic though. The Packers were starting Aaron Rodgers, who has never started a game before and, because he’s been on the bench behind Brett Favre for a number of years, has very limited experience. If I didn’t know any better, I ...

• would say Rodgers was a long-time veteran of the league.

He picked the Bengals’ defense apart. And, I don’t think that was because he’s that talented. Considering Marvin Lewis is supposed to be a defensive genius, I would really have concerns with that side of the ball.

The Packers scored 10 points in the first quarter and the only reason they didn’t have more is their running back missed a block on a blitzing cornerback and one of their receivers dropped a pass that was right in his hands, leading to an interception. I’m not sure who that defensive back was. But, they have a safety (I think that’s the position he plays) who can’t tackle.

Donald Driver knocked him over on

one reception and James Jones bounced off his so-called tackle (which did manage to knock Jones’ helmet off) to score a touchdown. Time to work on tackling fundamentals if you ask me. The Bengals play in a division that has the Cleveland Browns and Pittsburgh Steelers, I don’t see them finishing better than third and probably won’t make the playoffs.

In fact, if the Baltimore Ravens show any sort of improvement over last season, the Bengals might finish dead last in the AFC North. At this point, if the team doesn’t show drastic improvement by the time the regular season approaches, I have to wonder whether Lewis will last another season in Cincinnati or if the team will decide to part ways with him before this season is even over.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351109467570230/k2311a0911/9.11.08