Brian Brohm  » People  »
  • I don't think I could throw a ball 40 yards like he did
  • For now though, I think the team is better off bringing in a veteran guy and demoting their rookie to third string

• by Steve

When the Packers took Brian Brohm in the second round of this year’s draft, I figured he was a good pick up as a potential back up down the road and maybe trade bait later on. I didn’t expect him to be the team’s top back up and that has me a bit worried. Brohm was highly praised for his work ethic and familiarity with a

West Coast style offense.

But, in the action I saw him in during Monday night’s pre-season game, I really think he’s a bit too raw to be the guy that would replace Aaron Rodgers if he got hurt. I’ll forgive his interception on his first pass.

He is a rookie and is bound to make mistakes like that. But, considering the Packers run an offense that should allow even the worst quarterback to complete 60 percent of his passes, completing just 49 percent was not something to brag about.

When he was the quarterback, the team, facing a second-string defense, could not move the ball at all. The thing that really concerns me though is his arm strength.

Toward the end of the first half, he attempted to throw a pass into ...

• Brian Brohm
      the endzone from the Bengals’ 45 yard line. He didn’t even get the pass to the goal line.

I don’t think I could throw a ball 40 yards like he did. But, I’m not an NFL quarterback either and the standard for that is a bit higher.

In watching him, he actually reminded me a bit of Chad Pennington who struggles to win as a starter

because defenses know he’s not a threat to throw the ball downfield. The only difference is, Pennington is a lot more accurate than Brohm is.

Maybe in a year or two, he’ll grow into the position and be a legitimate back up. For now though, I think the team is better off bringing in a veteran guy and demoting their rookie to third string; to give him a chance to develop.

Brian Brohm

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521109467530230/k2311a0911/9.11.08