Alcatraz Island tour  » Travel  »
San Francisco, California
  • I heard mixed reviews about Alcatraz, but I have to say it was the best part about my vacation
  • If I didn't have the audio tour, I believe it would have looked like a bunch of old prison cells, but the narration made it come alive

• by Ellen11

I just returned from a trip to San Francisco, California where I was lucky enough to visit Alcatraz Island. After reading several books about San Francisco, I saw that travelers were advised to book tickets well in advance if you wish to see this historic prison.

I booked two months in advance and was lucky I did.

Once there, I heard

they were booked for weeks and weeks to come.

I heard mixed reviews about Alcatraz, but I have to say it was the best part about my vacation.

I went on the night tour which includes more than the day tour.

I took a boat out to the island which provided great scenery of the area and wonderful photo opportunities.

Once ...

• on the island, I took an audio tour of the prison.

It was incredible.

They have the actual prisoners voices on the audio tape as well as some of the real guards and family members of the inmates.

The tour told you where to go and what to look at so I was never confused or lost.

If I didn’t have

the audio tour, I believe it would have looked like a bunch of old prison cells, but the narration made it come alive.

Everyone was broken into groups, so it wasn’t too crowded as I took my tour.

Very well organized, and a must-see for anyone visiting the San Francisco area! Dress warmly, though.

It is freezing on the boat and island!

Alcatraz Island tour

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381109466730130/k2311a0911/9.11.08