Les Lavandes French Bakery and Restaurant
12901 McGregor Boulevard, Fort Myers, Florida
  • However, I have enjoyed their quiche, and the mushroom soup, as well as the tuna salad on a croissant
  • While dining, I usually have difficulty keeping my eyes off the glass counters filled with delicious baked goods that are located in the dining area
  • In addition, I recommend that you save room for one of their delicious pastries when dining there
  • Parking is no problem as the restaurant is located in a shopping center and has use of the entire parking lot
  • I don't think that you will be disappointed

• by deem

Les Lavandes French Bakery and Restaurant is the closest thing to a visit to France that I have found in Fort Myers, Florida. Located in a shopping center on McGregor Boulevard near the base of the Cape Coral Bridge, this bakery and restaurant was previously known as Andre’s Bakery when it was under different ownership. It is now a family owned and operated establishment. I have eaten there many times over a good many years and I have always been pleased by the food and the ambience. It is small, holding not more than about 10 tables — and that is after its recent renovation and expansion.

Although the restaurant is now open for dinner as well as lunch, I have not eaten dinner there. I have only eaten lunch. There is a standard menu from which you can order that includes items such as soup, sandwiches, and quiche as well as daily specials that are written on a blackboard that the server will bring to your table. I will say that some of my longtime favorite menu items, such as the crepes, and the tilapia with puff pastry and cream sauce

were discontinued when they changed their menu not too long ago.

I still mourn them as they were favorites of mine. However, I have enjoyed their quiche, and the mushroom soup, as well as the tuna salad on a croissant. In addition, I have enjoyed a number of their daily specials which have included a kind of beef stew, a pork casserole, and a fish in cream sauce with basil. This last is reminiscent of my gone, but not forgotten, tilapia with puff pastry and cream sauce.

Just about all of the entrees come with a side of various vegetables, in those small but savory portions that we always hear about that keep the French thinner than their American counterparts. French bread and butter is brought to your table as well. I have enjoyed everything I have ever eaten there, with the exception of the spinach quiche that I found to be a tad too “spinachy” for my taste. While dining, I usually have difficulty keeping my eyes off the glass counters filled with delicious baked goods that are located in the dining area.

These counters comprise the bakery portion of ...

• the establishment. If you would like, you can go in and just buy bread or quiche, cake or pastries right from the bakery to take out. They also have sandwiches available to take out. In addition, I recommend that you save room for one of their delicious pastries when dining there.

If you don’t have room, they will package them for you to take home. I have eaten and enjoyed the Napoleans, the eclairs, a variety of the fruit tarts, as well as various pastries made of meringue and of chocolate mousse, some with raspberry filling. They have all been very tasty. In fact, when I used to eat there with a friend who lived in the area, my family always insisted that I bring home an assortment of these pastries so they could enjoy them as well.

The atmosphere, at least at lunchtime, is casual and reminds me of a French bistro. The prices are reasonable for lunch even if you decide to add on a pastry or two. Every time I go there, I feel like am enjoying a little visit to France. The owners are friendly and

will remember you and greet you personally if you eat there fairly often, as I used to do.

Parking is no problem as the restaurant is located in a shopping center and has use of the entire parking lot. However, there is generally adequate parking near the front of the entrance by the sidewalk which is covered by an arcade if you are concerned about rain. If you are in Fort Myers, but have a craving for French food, or if you would like to introduce your children and teens to French food with an “authentic” atmosphere, then I highly recommend that you plan a visit to Les Lavandes Bakery and Restaurant. I don’t think that you will be disappointed.

(I just wish they had picked a name that was easier to pronounce by Americans such as myself who do not speak French. Then it would be easier to recommend the restaurant to otherw without just referring to it as the French bakery and restaurant that used to be known as Andre’s and that is located in the shopping center at the foot of the Cape Coral Bridge. ) And, whatever you do, don’t skip the pastry counter!!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71109466640130/k2311a0911/9.11.08