Pollo Tropical Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
1652 N.E. Pine Island Road, Cape Coral, FL
  • I had originally become familiar with this chain when I was in Miami and I was happy to welcome it to Cape Coral
  • I emphasize this point because Pollo Tropical does not serve the best Caribbean-style food that I have ever eaten, but I appreciate it for what it is -- a convenient place to pick up dinner when I am not in the mood to cook or when I am in a hurry
  • Like other fast food restaurants, Pollo Tropical offers individual entrees and sides or a variety of combo meals that includes sides such as white or yellow rice, black beans, fried or boiled yucca, salad, plantains, etc. I think that Pollo Tropical's most popular menu item is probably its grilled chicken, which my family enjoys very much
  • If you are not familiar with plantains, I recommend you try them as a side item
  • If you give it a try, I don't think that you will be disappointed and you may even discover some new foods to try

• by deem

This Pollo Tropical location is part of the Miami-based chain of Pollo Tropical restaurants. I had originally become familiar with this chain when I was in Miami and I was happy to welcome it to Cape Coral. If you are not familiar with it, Pollo Tropical primarily serves Caribbean-style food. The thing that distinguishes Pollo Tropical from other restaurants that serve this style of food is that Pollo Tropical is fundamentally a fast food restaurant.

In other words, Pollo Tropical is to Caribbean food what McDonalds is to hamburgers and fries. I emphasize this point because Pollo Tropical does not serve the best Caribbean-style food that I have ever eaten, but I appreciate it for what it is — a convenient place to pick up dinner when I am not in the mood to cook or

when I am in a hurry. It even has a drive thru — which I use quite frequently.

Like other fast food restaurants, Pollo Tropical offers individual entrees and sides or a variety of combo meals that includes sides such as white or yellow rice, black beans, fried or boiled yucca, salad, plantains, etc. I think that Pollo Tropical’s most popular menu item is probably its grilled chicken, which my family enjoys very much. My daughter’s favorite is the grilled chicken ceasar sandwich.

My favorite entree is the roast pork tropical, which I get as a “value meal” with black beans and white rice and a roll. I have also tried their ribs, shrimp skewers, and boneless chicken breasts to name just a few. If you are not familiar with plantains, I recommend you ...

• try them as a side item; I think you will enjoy them.

As these items indicate, I think that there is something on the menu here for just about everyone. I have always found the food to be tasty and seasoned well. It is not particularly spicy.

If you dine in, there are a variety of condiments available that you can add to your food, including several sauces, chopped onions, etc. I like chopped onions with my black beans so I always add those and even ask for them when I pick up my food through the drive-thru. Although desserts such as flan and tres leche cake are available, I have not personally tried them.

Pollo Tropical serves lunch and dinner and is open until 11:00 pm. If you are on your lunch break

and work in the vicinity, you should be able to either pick up your food or dine in within a lunch hour. When you dine in, you place your order at the counter and then pick it up when your number is called — just as with many other fast food establishments.

The atmosphere is very casual. If you are not in the mood to cook and just want to pick up dinner by zipping through a drive-thru or visiting a fast food restaurant, I highly recommend that you give Pollo Tropical a try. I find the food there to be a welcome change of pace from hamburgers and french fries, tacos, or fried chicken in a bucket.

If you give it a try, I don’t think that you will be disappointed and you may even discover some new foods to try.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 71109466620130/k2311a0911/9.11.08