Crayfish
  • They eat good and they are interesting to see in an aquarium
  • The other problem with these animals is that they must be in a tank that has a lid, if not they may be found walking around your house

• by Michael Stephen

I have always wondered why these things are called crayfish and not what they really are: freshwater lobsters. I first discovered crayfish when I used to haul my cousin down to the remote streams of Fayette County, PA in search of fish and salamanders. I was surprised and happy to find these little baby lobster looking creatures under rocks.

When we’d try to catch them,

they would dart backwards. It wasn’t long before we could catch several of them in various sizes.

Later, I would wade the shallows of the river in search of these crayfish. They were easy to come by.

It was always a treat to see the different color crayfish in the wild. ( They were often brown, but there were ...

• some that were green and others red and others were blue).

Since those days, I have kept several crayfish as pets. I have found them to be good scavengers.

They eat good and they are interesting to see in an aquarium. There are some cautionary points though.

I have found crayfish to be aggressive. They

fight each other and if a fish fits into there claws they will eat them.

I was also not happy when my crayfish started snacking on my aquatic plants. The other problem with these animals is that they must be in a tank that has a lid, if not they may be found walking around your house.

I have had a couple of crayfish break out of jail.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29909463840430/k2311a099/9.9.08