Gill’s Tavern Tallahassee
2545 N.Monroe Street Tallahassee FL
  • It's the little things that all add up to a great dining experience
  • My only problem with the seating outside of the bar area is that the tables are old and sometimes a little sticky

• by Slyboots

Gill’s Tavern has become my go-to restaurant in Tallahassee. Whenever my husband and I don’t know where to eat, we always end up at Gill’s.

The decor is friendly and homey and if you go there for dinner before 8, it’s almost never especially crowded or loud. The lighting is dim, but not so dim that you can’t see your food, the temperature is always pleasant, and the music is never too loud. These may not seem like such important things, but can you think back to all the different ways your

eating experiences have been ruined? It’s the little things that all add up to a great dining experience.

At Gill’s, you have the option of eating in the restaurant proper or eating in the bar area. We almost always eat in the bar area, because it’s less crowded, you can watch TV and your server is the bartender so they are always available if you need something. It’s a considerably less formal dining experience, which we like. The placement of the tables in the bar area is a little crowded, though, but ...

• never so much that you feel claustrophobic.

When we want a more formal dining experience, we like to eat in the restaurant proper. My only problem with the seating outside of the bar area is that the tables are old and sometimes a little sticky.

You can order off of the pub menu, which, naturally, offers more bar like fare–sandwiches, burgers, chicken fingers, etc; or you can order off the dinner menu, which offers the best prime rib in town. That being said, I almost always order off of the pub menu.

The portions are smaller and the food is considerably cheaper. My favorite thing to order, the Lasapellini (a pasta baked lasagna style with a garlic white sauce…you can’t get it anywhere else)is actually offered on both menus, but is about five dollars cheaper on the pub menu.

Gill’s also has a great bar with reasonable prices and a wide selection. The waitstaff is very friendly and service is usually very prompt.

It’s certainly not a perfect restaurant, but it’s a comfortable one, giving you all the things you need for a satisfying dining experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 7909463730330/k2311a099/9.9.08