PeoplePC Online
0.5
  • I decided to go with PeoplePC Online at only $1.00 more per month than Netscape
  • She stated once any charges come out of pending status, she would issue the only credit of $7.97 that she shows having been charged to my account

• by tamntn

I recently purchased a new computer which upgraded my operating system from Windows XP to Windows Vista. I was fine and happy continuing to be “old school” using dial-up internet service, utilizing Wal-Mart Connect (which changed to Netscape Connect). But, Netscape Connect does not support Windows Vista so I was forced to search for a new dial-up internet service provider. I decided to go with PeoplePC Online at only $1 more per month than Netscape. What a fiasco the registration process turned out to be. During the initial registration, I was able to get all the way to the point where they took and accepted my credit card information and then there proceeded to pop up an error message stating the registration process could not be completed, try again later. I grew nervous since my credit card information had already been taken so I called the toll free number, 877-947-3327, provided for customer and technical service.

The gentleman who answered the phone had such a thick Indian accent that I could not understand his name, even when he spelled it for me. He proceeded to tell me the account I had tried to set up had not yet been activated and he would send me a disk

in the mail so I could download the service from the disk. He advised it would take 7-10 days to receive the disk and that no charges would be applied to my credit card until I downloaded and activated the service. BUT, I decided the next day to check my credit card online and lo’ and behold, THREE charges were applied in pending status to my credit card, one at 11:15 p. m. for $9.

44, another at 11:16 p. m. for $9. 44 and a third on the following day at 10:41 a. m. for $7.

97. First, the $7. 97 was the supposed charge for the first three months (special rate) and secondly, no charges were supposed to be applied since I was unable to download the service onto my computer and lastly, what were the additional two $9. 44 charges. In calling customer service again, they had trouble finding my account, they transferred me SIX times and two representatives told me only $7. 97 was charged.

I advised I was being forced to use Netzero free (with limited 10 hours per month) at this point due to not being able to download their service and yet I was looking at my credit card statement online at three charges sitting in pending status from ...

• PeoplePC. Charges for a service I did not have and could not access. Furthermore, charges sitting in pending status hold those fund until they clear or are dropped. They continued to maintain only $7. 97 was charged. I got absolutely no where with any representative on the phone.

The last representative, supposedly a billing specialist, stated she could only see the $7. 97 charge. I advised at this point I wanted to cancel the entire mess as I was never going to use their service. I also advised all charges better be credited to my credit card account. She stated once any charges come out of pending status, she would issue the only credit of $7. 97 that she shows having been charged to my account.

She said she would be able to do so in 72 hours. Five days later, nothing had been credited, the $7. 97 went into the transactions charged section and the two $9. 44 charges were still holding up funds while they remained in pending status. My bank said I had to speak with PeoplePC Online, they continued to claim only $7. 97 was charged.

As of today, the two $9. 44 charges finally dropped off out of pending status, but for well over a week those funds

were being held and inaccessible to me and PeoplePC still maintains they only applied one charge. I can only hope at this point that the account I attempted to create, but could never download, has in fact been canceled. I am now waiting for my credit card statement to arrive in the mail to file a formal dispute directly with the bank to ensure the initial $7. 97 charge gets credited and to ensure no further charges are applied in the future.

If you want an internet dial-up service…do not go with PeoplePC Online…their customer service is atrocious and I am all for diversity in this country and in the workplace, but if someone is going to be hired for customer service, they need to be able to speak English very clearly in order to provide good service.

Customer Service is lacking in our country, no company seems to take pride it in anymore. That is a sad thing… We are paying customers for a service, we deserve to be treated with dignity and respect and we deserve to have our issues resolved in a timely manner and with representatives who can understand us and with whom we can correspond and understand. At this writing, my issue has yet to be resolved.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41809462840730/k2311a098/9.8.08