Ritalin
  • The thing that I don't like about Ritalin is that our sessions are often disrupted by frequent visits to the restrooms due to diarrhea
  • During the case conference, I asked their neuro-pediatrician because I thought this might be an alarming allergic reaction

• by lipsticknladdles

As a special education teacher/ Occupational Therapist, I have a number of students taking Ritalin. Most of them are children with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) and those with autism. Ritalin is said to be a central nervous system stimulant. Based on my observation, my students who is under this medication focuses more on their tasks. They are able to accomplish table top activities such as worksheets, arts and crafts and fine motor exercises

with a more attentiveness and focus. If ever they get distracted, moderate to minimal prompts can bring their attention back to what they are doing. These students of mine also tend to display less impulsive behavior when they are under medication. They were able to sit on their chair and would wait for further instructions before touching the materials presented to them. When they are not under their Ritalin regimen, upon presentation of art ...

• materials, they immediately grab paint bottles & mess with glue indicative of poor impulse control.

The thing that I don’t like about Ritalin is that our sessions are often disrupted by frequent visits to the restrooms due to diarrhea. 3 out of 5 students in my class under Ritalin experienced this. During the case conference, I asked their neuro-pediatrician because I thought this might be an alarming allergic reaction. Turns out, these are

included in the common side effects of Ritalin. The children’s nannies also give feedbacks that bedtime is horrendous when their children are taking Ritalin. They are often awake for hours.

In my point of view, no matter how beneficial Ritalin is, parents should try intensive behavioral and occupational therapy combined with all other non-medication treatment before turning to the use of Ritalin. Adults taking Ritalin experienced side effects that I find disturbing for young children.

Ritalin

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 26409461910330/k2311a094/9.4.08