Donnie Brasco
  • Starting with Anne Heche, I think that she plays her role well, being abandoned for long periods of time by her working husband
  • I like the way he handles bad news in the movie
  • He gets complimented even by his own men in he FBI with one of them saying Donnie we all think that you are doing an amazing job
  • I believe the fact that Donnie, as one of the mobsters had to go under the tutelage of Lefty overshadows some of his performances in the movie

• by etambe01

1997 movie directed by Mike Newell. Movie based on the real life story of FBI special agent Joseph Pistone who infiltrates the Mob. Story is based in NYC

The cast includes: Johnny Depp as Donnie Brasco, special agent Joe Pistone Al Pacino as Lefty Michael Madsen as Sonny Black Bruno Kirby as Nicky Robert Miano as Sonny Red Anne Heche as Maggie Pistone

This movie is really great and I have watched it quite a few times and never get tired of watching it. The action is nice from one great scene to another. I am going to discuss the movie based on the performances of the characters.

Starting with Anne Heche, I think that she plays her role well, being abandoned for long periods of time by her working husband; she does a good job bringing up the kids. Her interactions with her husband throughout the movie are just great. The one line that keeps coming up for me is when

she and Donnie are on their way back from the shrink and she says “you know why we came to the shrink, I was looking for a reason not to leave you and you did not give me any.”

Bruno Kirby plays his role as Nicky real well, I would say. Kirby is always funny in the movies that he appears. He is the one also who seems to be enjoying himself the most in the party scenes in the movie. Donnie Brasco and Lefty (who carried out the order) did not at all enjoy his faith at the end of the movie.

Robert Miano as Sonny Red I would say was okay. He did play the mean, double crossing role very well.

Michael Madsen as Sonny Black was nice to my opinion. There are two areas in his performances that stand out. This first one is the expression on his face when he runs into rival Sonny Red in the nightclub ...

• and the latter appears to be mocking at him. The second is when he shoots at the guy during the Mob’s robbery.

Al Pacino as Lefty to me was one of the two great performances in this movie. You are not suppose to feel sorry for a guy who kills people for a living but I ended up feeling sorry for him. Here is a guy with 26 hits under his belts who gets passed up for every little promotional opportunity. His personal life is a mess also, starting with his illness, the tragedy of his son and the ultimate “being sent for”. A lot of great lines coming out of him in this movie. I would give away two of them. The first “In our thing, you get called for, you go in alive and you come out dead and it is your best friend that did it to you.” is great and the second. “You put

a bet on a horse and the horse doesn’t do what it is suppose to do” is just a priceless quote. I like the way he handles bad news in the movie. Just watch the scene where Donnie gets introduced to the big guns in Miami. Overall great performance by Al Pacino in this movie.

Johnny Depp as Donnie Brasco. Johnny Depp put up a wonderful performance in this movie. He gets complimented even by his own men in he FBI with one of them saying “Donnie we all think that you are doing an amazing job.” Also his boss from Washington DC notes that Donnie “you are turning into one of them”. I believe the fact that Donnie, as one of the mobsters had to go under the tutelage of Lefty overshadows some of his performances in the movie. I really like the part when he gets mad at Lefty and tells him say it “Nicky is not a rat”

Movie can be purchased at Amazon.com for $9.99.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11309460550930/k2311a093/9.3.08