Gone With the Wind
  • It's a little over 1000 pages, but when I start reading, it's more like getting back to my favorite movie than any kind of work
  • Even when she's doing all her unwomanly activities, it's all with the hope of having the money one day to be a great lady- when she has time

• by wardourgirl

I’ve just finished reading “Gone With the Wind” for the second time. I’m not going to lie, it’s a commitment to read it. It’s a little over 1000 pages, but when I start reading, it’s more like getting back to my favorite movie than any kind of work.

The first time I read it, I was in 8th grade and I wondered if it was

as solid of a book as I remembered. It is. There are few literary characters written with such precision as Scarlett O’Hara. With over 1000 pages of her thoughts and actions, I can imagine what she’d do in just about any hypothetical situation.

One reason I love Scarlett so much: she deals with the hypocrisy of life with finesse. People are always expected to to ...

• or say the polite thing, even if they’re really just looking out for themselves. Most of her deception has to to with her trying to fit into the “great lady” mold. Even when she’s doing all her unwomanly activities, it’s all with the hope of having the money one day to be a great lady- when she has time.

Rhett is another great character. He waits

so long and patiently for her to come around. I can’t feel all bad for him though, he knows what he’s getting into. I appreciate that he loves her even with all her faults. It’s both of their big egos and pride that get in the way of their happiness. The ending is upsetting, but you know she’ll get her way. Scarlett is one headstrong woman.

Gone With the Wind

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17209459941030/k2311a092/9.2.08