Wildwood Boardwalk, Wildwood, New Jersey  » Travel  »
Wildwood, New Jersey
  • The town of Wildwood itself wasn't much more than hotels and restaurants, but the Wildwood Boardwalk was a truly thrilling shopping experience
  • There were many souvenirs to choose from, and the food was simply amazing
  • The Wildwood Boardwalk was definitely one of my best oceanside memories

• by Lacie

For my birthday one year I was surprised with a trip to Wildwood, New Jersey. It was the first time I’d ever visited the ocean and had no idea what to expect, and that first view of the ocean sprawling out in the distance was one I’ll never forget. The town of Wildwood itself wasn’t much more than hotels and restaurants, but the Wildwood Boardwalk was a truly thrilling shopping experience.

The Boardwalk isn’t located right at the water; it’s a raised walkway

that towers above the sand, and I was awed at the countless vendors offering everything from bead necklaces to tie-dye shirts to stuffed animals. The Wildwood Boardwalk was like a little self-contained city, with stores and eateries on both sides of the “road.” In particular I remember the McDonald’s (where I had my birthday breakfast) and even a mall with an entrance on the Boardwalk. There were many souvenirs to choose from, and the food was simply amazing.

I was lucky to catch ...

• a parade strutting on the Boardwalk on that nice August night, and the monster truck “Gravedigger” was pounding the sand down by the ocean. The Wildwood Boardwalk was definitely one of my best oceanside memories . . . though I visited the Ocean City, Maryland boardwalk far more often, it didn’t have the same number of shops or that same “shopper’s paradise” appeal.

Though I didn’t experience this personally, I took notice of Morey’s Piers, a great place on the boardwalk for kids

to let loose and have fun. Morey’s Piers is a good choice for parents who want to stop and allow children to let off some steam so they don’t dash in and out of all the boardwalk stores and possibly cause some significant damage! As for lodging, there are a few hotels located on the Boardwalk, but we found one outside of town. It was a terrible letdown and wasn’t exactly up to par, so make sure to research before grabbing a room in Wildwood!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383108458570231/k2311a0831/8.31.08