Alone in the Dark  » Games  »
  • Quite an interesting source of enemies, it gave me the feeling of Silent Hill for a start
  • Apart from jumping, shimmying and rappelling, I found myself able to bash, blow up, short circuit or even set fire to obstructions
  • I thought it gave quite a bit of a creative edge to gaming, something different once in a while
  • You have to get a good experience to be really impressed
  • AITD is really a horrifying experience in terms of execution

• by BARRY

Ever tried being alone in the dark?I have been afraid of the dark for a period of time when I was young.

Dating back in 1992, this is the fifth installment of the Alone in the Dark series.

You actually play protagonist Edward Carnby. He suffered from amnesia and finds himself in New York City. Apparently, the city has been possessed by demonic forces. He has to battle demented humans, black evil goo and even serpentine monsters. Quite an interesting source of enemies, it gave me the feeling of Silent Hill for a start. I kind of felt differently soon after.

Alone in the Dark(AITD) plays exactly like the adventure game you would have expected. It involves plenty of puzzle-solving through experimenting with objects around you or combining items in your inventory.

Although the game play is pretty linear, there are many ways to actually get around obstacles. Apart from jumping, shimmying and rappelling, I found myself able to bash, blow up, short circuit or even

set fire to obstructions. I thought it gave quite a bit of a creative edge to gaming, something different once in a while. There are weapons ranging from pistols and common implements. The melee tools allow you to bash, hack and smash your foes to their grave.

Fire in AITD my best idea of clearing paths. It is also sadly the only way to eradicate your enemies with, permanently.

Like the old adventure games, AITD punished me with lots of puzzle solving, trials and errors. I also had many unexpected deaths. Had to really control my temper on that point. That was really the frustrating point of the game actually. I am actually quite an impatient guy to start with.

For the graphics, the chaotic New York City and the eerie Central Park are created with brilliant light, shadow and water effects. You have to get a good experience to be really impressed. The impressive graphics is the thing that actually makes you ...

• feel scared of the game. I don’t recommend it to anybody who has a history of heart attacks.

The scares that AITD put you through feel really genuine. It involves lots of massive explosions and disintegrating road, gives a real sense of chaos in NYC. Aided by well directed cinematic action sequences and that terribly haunting music, AITD actually felt like a Hollywood movie in the making.

Now to be honest, the biggest flaw of the game is really the controls. There are also horrible camera angles. I hated the bad camera angles the most; I can’t seem to move around or sometimes will miss a couple of enemies occasionally. Strafing is replaced by turning and the cameras area also always inconsistently positioned.

The “Use” key differs in action between the first and third person perspectives. As I would always prefer to put out fires using the extinguisher in third person, I actually preferred first person. The keyboard and mouse experience was horrible too.

It was really painfully slow, clunky and unresponsive. I tried using my good ole analog controller, but it was equally horrible too.

I had a terrible experience with the driving. There were really awkward handling and unnatural lightness of the vehicle. I didn’t really liked the feeling actually. Most people might agree with me on that point though.

For a game that’s supposed put clever emphasis on the use of inventory, it really didn’t have a clear view of administrating it. Inventory had to be accessed via a heads down display. I needed to look into my jacket to retrieve and combine items, everything I did was at the cost of monsters continuing to assault me in any way they could.

AITD is really a horrifying experience in terms of execution. The controls totally ruined it in many ways. But fear not, the cinematic horror atmosphere will let you tide over almost anything; expect a really good story line. I really preferred it to be a movie instead.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 283108458300231/k2311a0831/8.31.08